Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default horizontal list rather than vertical

Hello,
    can someone help me with this please

I am using the John James template for my new website and in the 'Plans' page there is a listing of photos and text..I started to duplicate the list as I am designing an authors website with his books. However, the list starts to become too long...and I thought this would look much better with either a horizontal list that you scroll or even better something similar to the supersite designs where the page flicks over to the next book....

Is this possible and if so can someone give me an idea or some help with it?

Just so you can see my existing website which in I used two templates from Xara...this is the one I am now revamping. Instead of using a library shelf of books I want to use a more simple design but still have a little something rather than plain lists but not as current 'library style'

Ps had a major problem with our offsite server (we also have an onsite server and luckily the main website was unaffected but not so all the files uploaded to the offsite server, luckily have them on local server and so not all files are back up yet)...so clicking on a book should bring you a new window with extracts from the book plus publishing details..we had to get our website back up and are still putting back the files that go with the books... as I dont expect new website to be up and running within a couple of weeks..I know this is not good .... but didnt expect a major hiccup whilst planning the new site...so am trying to see if I can get this up a bit quicker than planned .

Default Re: horizontal list rather than vertical

Don't know what the John James template is msd.

Try the attached xar
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by moonstardust View Post
    Hello,
    can someone help me with this please

I am using the John James template for my new website and in the 'Plans' page there is a listing of photos and text..I started to duplicate the list as I am designing an authors website with his books. However, the list starts to become too long...and I thought this would look much better with either a horizontal list that you scroll or even better something similar to the supersite designs where the page flicks over to the next book....

Is this possible and if so can someone give me an idea or some help with it?

Just so you can see my existing website which in I used two templates from Xara...this is the one I am now revamping. Instead of using a library shelf of books I want to use a more simple design but still have a little something rather than plain lists but not as current 'library style'

Ps had a major problem with our offsite server (we also have an onsite server and luckily the main website was unaffected but not so all the files uploaded to the offsite server, luckily have them on local server and so not all files are back up yet)...so clicking on a book should bring you a new window with extracts from the book plus publishing details..we had to get our website back up and are still putting back the files that go with the books... as I dont expect new website to be up and running within a couple of weeks..I know this is not good .... but didnt expect a major hiccup whilst planning the new site...so am trying to see if I can get this up a bit quicker than planned .
    Sticking with the Wide Style JohnJames Theme, make youe Plans page shorter with one or two entries then duplicate the page for as many times as you choose.
    Double-click the NabBar and tick the "automatically links to all pages..." setting so all the new pages appear.
    Change their Page filenames and add meaningful Page titles.
    In Utilities > Web Export Options..., change the site to a Supersite > Page Transitions > "Concave" horizontal.

For the existing site, you could use the current images in a grid but blow them up into a Photo pop-up with gallery browser controls and a thumbnail strip at the bottom.
    It is possible to add HTML links into the Pop-up Title.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

wow!! I just had a quick go of each and love them both!

thank you so much...will work on them and see what develops with it... when its done will come back (if not before with queries! ) and let you see finished result... thank you!!

hi back again... having had a wee play around ... and liking both ideas... am still struck on the idea of a scrolling style for the books... have fund a couple of author websites where I like what they have done and wonder if I can achieve that with some help please? Think what struck me was the notion of not having click for another page or going down the page and this same idea could be used for all the photos I have for this website....
    Here's the first idea http://www.whoisamy.com/
    The second one http://www.ianfleming.com/the-books/...s-are-forever/ (I am assuming this is a set of images, with a 'scroll' to next set of images) which you can select to see more info...
    I did go to look at the template under Photo slideshows and Galleries widgets..to New Xara Slideshow...but that wants the email and password...which when I do shows another window for designing it but never ever loads?? I seem to recall this was a problem a few months back but looks as though it hasnt been resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by moonstardust View Post
    hi back again... having had a wee play around ... and liking both ideas... am still struck on the idea of a scrolling style for the books... have fund a couple of author websites where I like what they have done and wonder if I can achieve that with some help please? Think what struck me was the notion of not having click for another page or going down the page and this same idea could be used for all the photos I have for this website....
    Here's the first idea http://www.whoisamy.com/
    The second one http://www.ianfleming.com/the-books/...s-are-forever/ (I am assuming this is a set of images, with a 'scroll' to next set of images) which you can select to see more info...
    I did go to look at the template under Photo slideshows and Galleries widgets..to New Xara Slideshow...but that wants the email and password...which when I do shows another window for designing it but never ever loads?? I seem to recall this was a problem a few months back but looks as though it hasnt been resolved?
    The Ian Fleming site could be done in Xara with a holding page containing two sub-sites for the stepped carousel that fires up the detail page of the selected book.

Both would be rendered on the holding page through Placeholders, effectively using the embed a website widget.
    The main trick is getting the links in the carousel to fire up the appropriate detail page.

I've done something like this in the past but the minutiae escapes me at the moment.

After a pause, I just thought that you can combine both presentations into one.
    I'll try and come back with a demonstrator.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 19 March 2016 at 10:32 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It can be done using Pop-Up layers and reveal animations.

HERE's an EXAMPLE. Pure Xara. Not very pretty but it could be tidied up
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

In the end, I've gone with what Xara does best: Booker Prize.web.
    Acorn