Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb These logos need better typography!

I thought I'd just throw this out for members to play with (or not): Creative Market was giving away "instant logos", and to be fair, they weren't giving away typefaces, so I think they used Google fonts.

To be un-fair (!), the typography sucks. Do you think you can do better? What typeface would you use? Can you take a sec' and post your makeovers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrapForTypography.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	112062

I can't offer any prizes or anything: I can discuss this stuff with members, though.

And remember, because this page was free, you add better text and I think you've got yourself a few new logos to convince clients to use, right?

Even if not, at least this gives you some real-world experience with using fonts and good typography practices, something we don't get into nearly enough on tg.

My Best,

Name:  G-pencil.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  4.2 KB
    Last edited by Gare; 09 March 2016 at 02:25 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: These logos need better typography!

Here is a go at the mug one. The main font is Americana extra bold. . I altered the g slightly and rotated the u inside the cup. The secondary text is Switzerland Narrow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mug.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	112074  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The ones that I think are the "Royal Mountain", "Beer Pub" and "Bowtie". When I see Royal Mountain I think of the west, the Rockies and therefore should use 1900's woodcut font. The Beer Pub total logo lacks definition all round and the font just doesn't help. Gee the Bowtie word is asymmetrical and the word could be the logo. It's always the case when I worked in a small design shop a price was agreed so you were allotted a time to complete the job so nearly always the font was last and therefore most times I took the work home if I wasn't satisfied.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is my idea with the Bowtie. The font is Desire Pro with the cap B and cap t replaced with extras ( I did use Designer Pro for this but it was a bit of a pain replacing the glyphs) I slightly altered the shape of the bowtie to add a bit of a whimsical touch. The idea was to bring to mind the image of a waiter straightening his bowtie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowtie.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	112090  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The Pizza Oven was in distress (get it, hah hah) over its logo and name. So a change was in order...

Name:	brick-oven.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	112091

Name:	pizza.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	112092

Knowing nothing about typography guys, I just used what I thought looked ok!!!! so no gasps and shock horror what the hell as he used
    For The I used Bubblegum sans reg.
    For Mug I used Goblin.
    For the bottom text I used Dominican reg.

Hope I've not freaked you typo. masters out

Stygg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

@Stygg—

Good going! Nice use of more interesting and appropriate fonts. I thought the whole point of posting this was to get good designers to think about typefaces; how to use them as creatively as you would brush strokes. By the way, "Dominick" is FontShop's name for the industry standard "Dom Casual", available online just about everywhere, and sometimes legally.

@mwenz, you nailed it in one, and I got something coming up here that you'd like to critiqué,,,because it's my work. :)

@Frances, thank you for getting the ball rolling! Your versions are a definite improvement and I'm happy that you're "thinking font" here!

@Albacore: your observations are astute ones. And agreed, these guys aren't the easiest to work with, but nevertheless I'd like to see you improve one of the logos with your suggestion(s). And because you prompted me, I did vector copies of two of the logos for members to download. Oh, Crikers..I'm getting to the Monthly Giveaway again. :(

Name:	TheMugBouton.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	112102

Davida for the headline; I thought if I angled the cup enough, the top of the drawing would be as good a place as on the side. I modeled the mug, and then used Cinema 4D's Sketch feature to posterize/cartoon the render. Then it was off to Vector Magic to pull the vectors. You might want to improve upon these auto-traces. Take 'em, split your commission 50/50 with me if you sell one of these. :)

I uses Mona Lisa Solid for the sub-text and then a frilly vector ampersand (see below).

Name:	ThePubBouton.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	112103

Blackmoor—it's one of Dieter Steffmann's fonts you can easily look up and download for the headline and then Arts & Crafts for the sub-text. I just did a search for "Arts & Crafts" and scored a large number of free downloads of stuff that's close to the Dave Fabik "Willow" typeface I used in this example. Also you can do a search on "Renee Mackintosh", and I'm sure "Dyer" is free...and it's actually quite nice.

Oh, I also noticed that there's a of design opportunities here to use a fancy, frilly ampersand instead of the word "and". "And" :) so I've included some & that I've traced off from fonts on the web. I think one is from Pistilli, in case anyone likes the font.

Name:	ClassyAmpersands.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	112104

My Best,

Name:  smirk sig.png
Views: 157
Size:  5.7 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not my finest, but if the client wanted a log in 15 minutes, this would be it. Attached; thanks for the concept, albacore. The wood panels were auto-traced and don't ungroup them unless you want to deal with 5.037 individual shapes.

Name:	BowTie.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	112108

Name:  smirk sig.png
Views: 151
Size:  5.7 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'll tell ya, this is more fun than what I'm doing (or ought to be doing) today...
    @mwenz, you nailed it in one, and I got something coming up here that you'd like to critiqué,,,because it's my work.
    If I were to critique the work, it would be that due to the nature of an envelope producing such faired curves on the bottom of the text, I would investigate fairing the black behind the text, The Mug. Something sort of like:

Name:	Capture-000165.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	112110

But in playing, the enveloped text almost begs for a slight mouth shape. Maybe, perhaps. Something like this:

Name:	Capture-000166.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	112111

But I would go so far as to draw a mouth and convert the envelope to editable shapes and see about altering the middle portion to see if I could get the slight 'V' at the top middle of a mouth drawing into the shape of the text. Whew, not even sure I understand that...

With the text splitting between the two words, it probably wouldn't work out, though. Though the angular nature of the 'M' almost suggests it enough.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Not my finest, but if the client wanted a log in 15 minutes, this would be it. Attached; thanks for the concept, albacore. The wood panels were auto-traced and don't ungroup them unless you want to deal with 5.037 individual shapes.
    I like it. When looking at the bow-tie, that's where I think I would have went.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words.