Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help please..Unable to get drag and drop images to repeat on same page

Hi Guys, With my older version of Xara I was able to drag and drop a new image on top of another image and all the other instances of that image on the same page would also update to the new image.Since I upgraded it now appears to behave differently, now whenever I drag and drop an image on top of another it just updates the image I dropped the new image on top of and not the other instances of the same image on the same page. (I am specifically referring to the repeat images on the same page only and not the 'repeat images on all pages' which works fine).Hoping this is just something simple I am not doing right rather than anything to do with switching to a newer version of xara. Any help please on how to do this. Thanks

Default Re: Help please..Unable to get drag and drop images to repeat on same page

I think you need to use the Make Live Copy feature. Right click the image and select Make Live Copy. A duplicate image (Live Copy) is created. You can modify the size of the copy. You can duplicate the live copy and edit as well. Now drag and drop an image onto the original, or one of the live copies and it will update all the other copies and original.

Default Re: Help please..Unable to get drag and drop images to repeat on same page

Thank you for your help, unfortunately for me the 'make live copy' feature doesnt seem to appear in the menu list when I right click on an image to be copied. I am using xara v9 (not sure or not if that's the reason why the make live copy feature doesnt appear) but if it is, any further help please to do this on the xara version I am working with. thanks

Live copy I guess is Designer Pro. I tired this in WD 11 and there is no live copy and dropping an image on a multiple copy version of an image only changes the one image. (Progress?)

It can be done, but I'm not certain it can done in your upgrade (you don't mention the upgade version).

In Xara drag & drop in the required new image.

Delete it. It still resides in the bitmap gallery.

Open the Names Gallery (not sure which versions have this feature) and click the dot along side it to select all copies on that page.

With them still selected, open the Bitmap Gallery and select your new bitmap & hit Fill.

They will all change, but only on that page. You'll need to repeat the process for each page.

Here's a dialogue that pop's up:

EDIT: If you don't have the Name Gallery, just shift select all duplicates of the image, and Bitmap Gallery / select the required bitmap / Fill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	multiple-photos.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	111996  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg, The second option you suggested works okay with my version of xara (XWD premium 9 v9.2.7..) by using the shift key to select all duplicates etc.. Its not quite what I was looking for as the duplicate images I have on the same page are placed on pop up pages and different layers so its a bit too much of a challenge finding and selecting them all by using the shift key for this particular project. frustratingly this was so easy to achieve on some of the older versions of xd (version 5 for example), you just dragged and dropped an image on to the image and the other instances followed suit without having to do much else. Still hopeful that there might be an easier way to achieve this,failing that it looks as though I might have to upgrade to a different version of Xara or downgrade as the case maybe? Any further help with this task would be appreciated. Thanks again