Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP 6 vs. PSP 7

Hi-

What advantages/improvements were made to version 7 over 6? I have been a 6 user for a long time and now season is slow so I am revisiting the upgrade issue.

Thanks.
    IP

Hi-

What advantages/improvements were made to version 7 over 6? I have been a 6 user for a long time and now season is slow so I am revisiting the upgrade issue.

Thanks.
    IP

I can't be of any help at all because it's been so long since I used 6 that I really don't remember what the differences are. But I remember having a little trouble with 7 in the beginning but wouldn't give it up for anything now!
    *S*
    Carolyn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

There are many improvements...and it does take a while to get used to the new format for color and text...but once you do..it's whiz-bang!

Enhanced photographic tools, painting with any color, texture or pattern, optimize jpg's, gif's and png files, there is an image mapper...an image slicer...and you can easily create mouseovers now. Those are just a few of the things to try.

Additionally, there are many more effects than in ver 6. The Anniversary edition comes with lots of extras.

Do yourself a favor...download the trial version of 7.0 and play with it..you won't be disappointed!

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

I upgraded to version 7 in the hope that they might've included customized keyboard shortcuts to tools in the Preferences fly-out menu, or, at least, keyboard shortcuts similar to Photoshop.
    The way PSP7 is now, it takes me longer to get through a single artwork than it would if I could do the same piece using familiar keyboard commands in Photoshop (or CorelPaint with its customized keyboard setting).
    "Ctrl"&"+" for zooming in and "Ctrl"&"-" zooming out, for example.

Very frustrating.
    IP

I can use the wheel on my mouse to zoom. Can you not? It's much easier than any keyboard commands.
    IP

I for one, don't like having to constantly switch from mouse to keyboard to carry out commands so I never bother with keyboard shortcuts. Every command that I use frequently is an icon on my top toolbar. Saves lots of time that way.
    Carolyn
    IP

Don't everybody gasp at once! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I use it at home, but use Photoshop at work. I really like Photoshop and would like to know PSP v.7 compares.

In other words, would I appreciate PSP v.7 after growing accustomed to Photoshop?
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Would I appreciate PSP v.7 after growing accustomed to Photoshop?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Probably not. PSP has some useful features: the best being the "Browse" tool, something I wish Adobe would kindly implement; the introduction of vector support (although it’s a tad confusing); and object styling. If you are familiar with Photoshop and feel comfortable with its interface, get your hands on Photoshop Elements. This great (and CHEAP!!!) app has about 80% of Photoshop’s features, minus ImageReady, CMYK support and vector tools … *sigh*. It’s actually a replacement for Photoshop LE, but, man, is it sweet. Check it out and download the tryout version at Adobe Photoshop Elements.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can use the wheel on my mouse to zoom. Can you not? It's much easier than any keyboard commands.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Firstly, I use a graphics tablet (haven't used a mouse in yarens!), and secondly, the main advantages of knowing, for example, Photoshop's shortcut keys by touch (without looking at the keyboard) are that it speeds up productivity, you can change tools, brush sizes, layer order at a keystroke and your eyes are constantly focused on the canvas on screen, instead of diverting your eyes to the toolbar to change tools.
    I, like many Photoshop-literate users, have one hand on the keyboard constantly switching tools & settings while the other is doodling away on the tablet. That's why I get easily frustrated when Photoshop keyboard commands are not available on other image-editing apps. I recently bought Macromedia's Fireworks and they give the user the ability to change keyboard shortcut settings from Macromedia's defaults or Photoshop standards.
    But, hey, if you guys wanna stick to your trackball, be my guest.
    IP

I also use a graphics tablet pen along with the mouse. I just haven't gotten that good at one handed typing.
    Carolyn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP