Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XARA 3d logo from .EMF

Hello ..

I was wondering if anyone could help me - I am fairly new to graphics and know very little about it - i am looking to design a spin ,pulsating etc etc logo from a 2d shape

I have READ the sticky's at the top outlining how to create a SHAPE in Xara and then paste the photo or image on to that shape ..i already know how to do this in a crude fashion ie: drag and drop on to your desired shape or via texture -

I have been watching this video on YOUTUBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZWo2r-RSuo

incase you don't want to waste life watching a bit of it to get the gist of what i am trying to create ... it is a GUY that takes a LIVERPOOL ( football ) logo ... creates a vector trace image ( EMF ) via INKSCAPE and then just simply pastes it into XARA ..

Being that INKSCAPE is a freebie i downloaded it and tried it myself - but when I go to PLONK the image into XARA it comes back with a ERROR message "error: This file does not contain any outlines"

My starting file is a just a black and white JPG that then converts into EMF , it does appear the trace it successful as it becomes outlined . Reading other bits on the net about this ... it would appear that sometimes the creation of EMF is only creating the file as a container EMF but the image stays the same ? ( i think i sort of understand that but am unsure )

so my question is what am i doing wrong ? the starting image is a very basic black outlined image ie: skull and cross bones with white backround

another question would be - how complex can a image be - can it go up to a PHOTO of a person ? i am thinking that is a silly question but the truth is I just don't know that much about graphics ( i guess i am searching for boundaries of possible creativity using the same procedure )

I think i am doing something wrong with the conversion - I have downloaded a 30day free trial of Illustrator so have that package for about another 20 days or so ( off advise from reading the net ) ... I did try to trace in that but the same error happens

in both software's it looks like the trace is complete as a very roughish black outline appears

i don't even know if i am asking the right questions

many thanks in advance

Default Re: XARA 3d logo from .EMF

Welcome to TG Steve.

Perhaps this will help:

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

PMSL

Thank you .. it is a bit better than the other video - i swear i was doing it right

it appears i was not deleting the original file and just saving both .... I have not tried but i am happy and think it may work

as for my other question ( i am going to play about with it anyway to test boundaries ) but is it just basic images that can be created ie: rough outlines or can photo images be created ... the thing that amazed with the other video was .He created the basic ouline only to drop the original PNG in XARA to create the texture ie: actually creating a perfect replica in Xara .. it was very impressive

Yes, the effect can be very good but alignment of the photo texture to the vector shape can cause problems (that can be overcome)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Yes, the effect can be very good but alignment of the photo texture to the vector shape can cause problems (that can be overcome)
    I'm currently having that issue. How can it be overcome?