Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Link to file in password protected sub folder

Hello all, I am a new member to the forum but have been viewing your posts here over time to help me learn more about Web Designer. Thank you. However I do now have a situation where I am unable to find a previous thread that is pointing me in the right direction.

I would like to create links on a client support page where they can download various .exe files and not for general public pdf's. I will store the .exe & pdf files in a password protected folder on the webhost server.

How do I link to these files in that protected folder using Web Designer 11?

As I understand it, WD includes copies of linked files in the index_htm_files folder but that is not what I want for this situation as the .exe & pdf files can only reside in the protected folder.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ian

Default Re: Link to file in password protected sub folder

What I do is create a folder using filezilla, upload the files into it, and password protect the folder using my host's control panel.
    I then link to the files from the website.
    When you click a link, it will bring up a password box.

Default Re: Link to file in password protected sub folder

Thanks Merlin, that is exactly what I want to do.

However I was trying to put the file address in the wrong box of the web properties dialogue box. Tried to put it in "link to file" instead of "link to web", my error.

Now working like it should.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.