Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Creating & applying Touch Icons

Recently it was asked how to create 'Touch Icons' for use within Apple & Android mobiles/tablets.

I'd never used these before so after some searching of the web here's what I've come up with:

Create a square icon using Xara

Export it as a png. (I don't think Alpha is of any use)

Import the png into icongen.com (or similar online Touch Icon generators)

Save the resultant zip folder where required and unzip it, naming the folder 'icons' or similar

Using an ftp program like Filezilla upload the folder, 'icons', one level below your website folder

Return to the icongen.com page and copy the supplied code

Edit the code to the correct path, in my example adding 'icons/' to the path

Copy this code

Open the Xara website. Web Properties / Website / HTML Code HEAD and paste in this code.

Publish

Now anyone bookmarking via 'Add to Home Screen' on a mobile or tablet will be served the touch icon.

I would also say that to bear in mind that these icons, although square, are rendered as rounded squares on mobiles / tablets, so keep the corners clear of content.

Here's a rambling video.

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 14 February 2016 at 10:57 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Creating & applying Touch Icons

Thanks for this Egg, I for one will find it quite useful. I have been wanting to figure out a way do do this for my little online publication and was planning on doing a search for just this info!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Cheers Frances. I'm not a lover of mobile browsing and had never worked out how to make quick bookmarks but these Touch Icons save a lot of typing on miniscule keypads!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

i like your rambling videos
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thank you very much for the effort you put into a very informative presentation!

Thanks Ed, hope many more find this useful.