Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Files being deleted during Publishing

I am using G&PD10 to publish my website since neither WD10 Online Edition nor G&PD11 allow Publishing (weird!).

Two of my problems occur specifically with the page where I list 8 mp3 files for playback or download. Click here.
    Everything is fine during the first publish to an empty directory on my webspace.
    The following week I update the page, adding a more recent mp3 and deleting the oldest mp3. In other words, 7 mp3 files stay exactly the same (they just move down one row on the page - shouldn't affect anything), one new one is added.

1) When I publish the website (a few other pages have been tweaked too - no problems there) all the mp3 files are deleted, but none are uploaded. Consequenty, once published the website returns a "Magix Not Found" error when one tries to select that mp3. I have an FTP program, which I then use to put the 8 mp3 files back, and then it works, but this is not how it should be. Am I missing something? A setting somewhere?
    2) If I publish the website again right after it deletes the mp3 files, it uploads the mp3 files, which makes sense, since at that point they are not present. But it additionally uploads two older mp3 files. These files are not "listed" anywhere on the page, they are not in the directory where I store the 8 mp3 files on my HD, and where the 8 links on the page refer to. I have no idea where these "bogus" mp3 files come from or why they are uploaded? I realize nobody can check this based on viewing the page online, but I also don't know how to ask this question in any other way. I will gladly send anybody who is willing to look into this the WEB file to check out for me.
    3) This week I removed a page from my web file. When I did, the menu at the top was immediately updated, so that there is one less button. Excellent. When I published the website, apparently the html files had not been changed, so they were not uploaded (time & date stamp the same?). Therefore, all the pages showed the old menu buttons (yes, I pressed F5 in FireFox). I used my FTP program to delete all the old html files, and then I published again. By the way, this is when the deleted mp3 files (from problem #2) AND the additional 2 mp3 files showed up.

Anybody have any suggestions for me?

David Boyd

Default Re: Files being deleted during Publishing

David, a very basic ask has to be, have you refreshed your local browser, clearing its cache? (Ctrl+F5, not just F5)

An alternative: create an mp3 folder and upload the files to that directly.
    Then link explicitly to each mp3's URL from your .WEB file.
    This avoids having to jump through hoops.

Another thing that could be happening is a delay in your ISP refreshing the uploaded files.

A way to force the files into your index_htm_files folder is to use http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...-A-Attach-File.
    This might help as it might be a problem with your associated Support Folder (Help > Search > Support Folder).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Files being deleted during Publishing

Further to Acorns advice, here's my suggestion on how I'd go about it:

To see a working copy:

http://parkeston.com/david-boyd/
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host