Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Adding a pdf to website

This is my first post & I'm trying to build my 1st website,
    I want to add a link so a visitor to the site can download a pdf file.
    I've added a button & then right clicked on it,
    clicked on Web Properties
    clicked 'Link to file'
    browsed to the pdf file on my PC
    clicked open
    then published the website.
    The button does not appear on the website when viewed in a browser, but it is there in the Xara work area.

Can anybody point out what I'm doing wrong?

Default Re: Adding a pdf to website

Did you create the button in the Mouse over layer instead of the Mouse off layer by any chance?

Here's a collection of things to check with buttons:

Open and Pin the Page & Layer Gallery.
    Right-click on the page's thumbnail image and select Locate mode.
    Select your button.

If it is under the MouseOver Layer, it will not show in a web browser as objects here are usually triggered by roll-overs on associated objects on the MouseOff layer.
    To really check, select the MouseOver Layer and then click on the Eye icon to turn it red.
    If the button disappears, you put it in the wrong place.
    Click on the Red Eye to get the button back, then in the Page & Layer Gallery, click it and drag it into the MouseOff Layer.
    You can create Layers above the MouseOver Layer and buttons (without roll-overs) can be placed there as well.

You should see a pop-up box describing the link to the PDF file.
    In the Page & Layer Gallery, the button should be selected, indicating which Layer(s) it is in.
    Finally, the Status Line (Window > Bars > Status Line) will should what you have selected. If it is not a roll-over button, it should advise what Layer it is on.

A rollover button will have two groups of objects, soft-grouped on the MouseOff & MouseOver Layers.
    For a button to work, it must have a defined Link (basically, anything other than None).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I am pretty sure that your PDF file that you want to link to should be a file on your web server not your PC. Maybe somebody else can confirm that but I do not think that Xara will up load the file when you publish the web site. I have always placed the file on the web server in what ever directroy I need and just linked to it there.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    I am pretty sure that your PDF file that you want to link to should be a file on your web server not your PC. Maybe somebody else can confirm that but I do not think that Xara will up load the file when you publish the web site. I have always placed the file on the web server in what ever directroy I need and just linked to it there.Ray
    Ray, if you use Web Properties > Link > Link to file (PDF, AVI, etc), the application adds it to the index_htm_files folder so that when Published or Exported it is uploaded,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you all for your help. I now seem to have resolved my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ray, if you use Web Properties > Link > Link to file (PDF, AVI, etc), the application adds it to the index_htm_files folder so that when Published or Exported it is uploaded,
    Acorn
    Ok that is good information.

I have always keep the site PDF files in a separate folder for ease of locating and updating them later on, so I never knew Xara could upload the files to the index folder. I thought the link was just a pointer to a place on the Web server.

Thanks for the new information.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Ok that is good information.
    I have always keep the site PDF files in a separate folder for ease of locating and updating them later on, so I never knew Xara could upload the files to the index folder. I thought the link was just a pointer to a place on the Web server.
    Thanks for the new information.
    Ray
    Ray, the fuller detail on this can be read at Help > Contents > Web Properties Dialog > Link to File & Help > Contents > Document handling >Support folders.

As ever, Xara's products provide so many alternatives that is is hard to keep up,
    Acorn