Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello all. I'm kind of new to the boards here by virtue of just joining today. But discovered this site a few weeks ago.

I get a lot of enjoyment edited photos and have thought to advance my skill levels into areas of graphics. I've used several photo editors to do lots of interesting things, yet the layering of graphics really looks to be pretty cool

Adobe Photoshop seems to be a pretty hefty price for my new beginnings into graphics, but while looking at other software programs I found that PhotoImpact seems to have many of the same kinds of functionality that I saw in Photoshop. But, now I'm confused about the differences I found regarding what appears to be 2 different programs called PhotoImpact.

One program appears to be a version 8.0 that is made by a company called Ulead.

The other is a program called PhotoImpact 8.5 Pro by a company called Nova.

They both to be similarily priced and seem to share a lot of the same kinds of features. Would any one with a few minutes to spare like to tell me which would be better of if they know if there is any kind of relationship between the two programs?

Thanks in advance,
    Dejay11

Nova

ULead
    IP

Hello all. I'm kind of new to the boards here by virtue of just joining today. But discovered this site a few weeks ago.

I get a lot of enjoyment edited photos and have thought to advance my skill levels into areas of graphics. I've used several photo editors to do lots of interesting things, yet the layering of graphics really looks to be pretty cool

Adobe Photoshop seems to be a pretty hefty price for my new beginnings into graphics, but while looking at other software programs I found that PhotoImpact seems to have many of the same kinds of functionality that I saw in Photoshop. But, now I'm confused about the differences I found regarding what appears to be 2 different programs called PhotoImpact.

One program appears to be a version 8.0 that is made by a company called Ulead.

The other is a program called PhotoImpact 8.5 Pro by a company called Nova.

They both to be similarily priced and seem to share a lot of the same kinds of features. Would any one with a few minutes to spare like to tell me which would be better of if they know if there is any kind of relationship between the two programs?

Thanks in advance,
    Dejay11

Nova

ULead
    IP

They're the same (or almost). The Nova version is PIXL, or 8.5. Nova is the US distributor. Check out Stephanie's PIBB:

http://www.eastofthesun.com/whatsnew.htm

There's a very friendly board here. Check it out. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    IP

Dejay, Grafixman is right.
    The big difference is that Nova is a marketing company. What they sell is a package which includes Photoimpact and a few programs of their choice.
    They are more into retail marketing, where Ulead tends to be better at the web.
    And you're right, PI will do most anything that PS will do, and at a better price...

Enter the PhotoimpactZone!
    IP

Grafixman & Kelly,

Thanks so much for the response. I did spend some time on Stephanie's web site and completely missed her discussion on the two PhotoImpact versions.

It looks like PhotoIpact is the way to go. Now it's just a matter of getting to the store.

Between sites like Talkgraphics.com and Stephanie's Tutorials I should be able to get off to a great start.

In the past I've had a lot of use of many different software programs for editing photos. My most recent passion has been making DVD slide shows put to music. I recently completed a slide show of my son's best freind's wedding pictures.

Just for the heck of it, I'll post a couple of the effects shots that I did of the couple. -One is a "before" spotlight shot. That is provided I do the attachement correctly.

Thanks again!
    Dejay11
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0052.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	19643  
    IP

Posted the wrong one. Sorry. It's not the before pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0052a.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	15055  
    IP

Mirrored.
    IP

Here's the mirrored shot. Sorry for the wrong post and the size.

-First time for everything http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    IP