Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default text outline not visible in preview

Hi guys, me again.

I bought Xara designer 11 pro last weekend, and I noticed a funny thing, when I apply an outline to text, and change its color (which in itself is a real challenge) the outline will
    not show up on the preview.

It does when exported to a pdf or something, but not in the web preview.

anyone have this happen before and any idea what to do about it??

Screenshot attached for a visual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	111655

Default Re: text outline not visible in preview

I don't have version 11 and somebody might correct me, but I don't think the outline will show unless you convert the text to a graphic (group it)

Hi Spitsoor, MVMusic is correct. HTML has no understanding of text outlines. It has a fill colour, font size, etc but just can't add a stroke/outline (at present). By groupng it, the text is converted to a bimap and it will show the outline but Search Engines can't read it as text, it's just an image.

... when I apply an outline to text, and change its color (which in itself is a real challenge)
    What's the challenge, just right click on the colour bar and depending on how you've got Xara set up, it either automatically changes or brings up a pop-up dilogue to Set Line Colour. You can change the size of the stroke by adusting the line width.

What issues are you experiencing?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg, the challenge being that when I have text, I add an outline, go to the color picker (or the color bar) and have only one color option to choose from.
    It will only show me the Text color (fill) option, not two. Then I go back and forth widening the outline so I can drag a color onto it, and then hopefully it will show two colors.

So yeah...pretty time consuming when trying various fonts/styles etc for a new logo design.

It does seem to go the way it should when I change the text color before adding an outline, but not when I type with an existing outline or add the outline directly after typing.

Me confused.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spitsoor View Post
    Hi Egg, the challenge being that when I have text, I add an outline, go to the color picker (or the color bar) and have only one color option to choose from.
    It will only show me the Text color (fill) option, not two. Then I go back and forth widening the outline so I can drag a color onto it, and then hopefully it will show two colors.

So yeah...pretty time consuming when trying various fonts/styles etc for a new logo design.

It does seem to go the way it should when I change the text color before adding an outline, but not when I type with an existing outline or add the outline directly after typing.

Me confused.....
    You can try one of the following:

1. First square of the colour bar (Hover: Current line, fill & text background colours), shows the outer line and central fill colours - double click on the edge or centre to open the colour editor.
    2. Click the second square in from the left (Click to edit the current colour), then select the Local line colour.
    3. Drag a colour onto the text - a Replace colour dialog open, pick the colour(s) to replace.

To get such an outline for the web, create a Glow Shadow with no blur or transparency.
    Or clone the text, make it slightly larger, colour it and place behind.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat