Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Linking to presentation/supersite

Trying to figure out how to insert a link in website to a sub-ordinate presentation/supersite cf. the 'introduction' site in Design gallery of WD10 Premium. Is it possible to do this by creating the prez/supersite as a separate file and then exporting it to a local folder, and then creating a link to the local file in Web properties? Or does the prez/supersite need to be published on the Magix hosting site before it can be linked as a url (as is the case with the 'Introduction' site)? It would be great if it could be exported as an integrated part of my website to an FTP server, but not sure if this is possible. Some guidance would be appreciated

Default Re: Linking to presentation/supersite

Quote Originally Posted by steve62 View Post
    Trying to figure out how to insert a link in website to a sub-ordinate presentation/supersite cf. the 'introduction' site in Design gallery of WD10 Premium. Is it possible to do this by creating the prez/supersite as a separate file and then exporting it to a local folder, and then creating a link to the local file in Web properties? Or does the prez/supersite need to be published on the Magix hosting site before it can be linked as a url (as is the case with the 'Introduction' site)? It would be great if it could be exported as an integrated part of my website to an FTP server, but not sure if this is possible. Some guidance would be appreciated
    Steve, the Link can be set to a relative URL (link) with the Correctly automatically box unticked. You might end up with something like: pres/index.htm#xl_xr_page_index. The main site is published to your FTP root and the presentation site to a folder called pres. I usually check such links by exporting locally to a folder and a sub-folder (pres).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Right, so I have now created the sub-site. Am I right in thinking then I can insert the local directory address for the WD file in the 'Link to file' field of the 'Link' dialogue box in Website properties, with the WD file located in a sub-folder of folder for the main site? Or should the sub-site be exported first into the sub-folder...? Not quite sure what format the sub-site should be in, ie as WD file or exported url - perhaps the WD file will be exported anyways when I export the entire site...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Steve, the Link can be set to a relative URL (link) with the Correctly automatically box unticked. You might end up with something like: pres/index.htm#xl_xr_page_index. The main site is published to your FTP root and the presentation site to a folder called pres. I usually check such links by exporting locally to a folder and a sub-folder (pres).

Acorn
    Sorry but I need some more help on this one. I cannot see anywhere in Link dialogue box in WD10 Premium where I can insert a relative url. I have tried inserting the local directory address of the exported index file for supersite (under 'Link to web or email address') but it does not link to it from the main site. (See attached screenshot). This is before I have published main site to an FTP server. Just trying to access the supersite when in preview mode of main site. So what am I doing wrong...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WD_screenshot.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	112905  

Quote Originally Posted by steve62 View Post
    Sorry but I need some more help on this one. I cannot see anywhere in Link dialogue box in WD10 Premium where I can insert a relative url. I have tried inserting the local directory address of the exported index file for supersite (under 'Link to web or email address') but it does not link to it from the main site. (See attached screenshot). This is before I have published main site to an FTP server. Just trying to access the supersite when in preview mode of main site. So what am I doing wrong...?
    If you have published to a sub-folder called Prez then the Link will just read has to read as "Prez/index.htm" in the same link box.

FTP main site to URL.
    FTP Prez site to URL/Prez.
    Relative links will then be to Prez/..

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    If you have published to a sub-folder called Prez then the Link will just read has to read as "Prez/index.htm" in the same link box.

FTP main site to URL.
    FTP Prez site to URL/Prez.
    Relative links will then be to Prez/..

Acorn

Yay: that worked! Thanks. Well for the most part, anyway. The supersite opens in a separate window and works fine in Chrome and Explorer, but for some reason does not render properly when opening in Firefox, even though the main site works fine in the latter. Weird. Any clue as to why that might be?