Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Kington, Herefordshire. I used to live on a boat on the English waterways

Default DP 11 Not responding

For a long timw now I have been concerned about the slowness of DP when performng some operations. I had been putting it down to the limitations of my computer that might not be the case.

Usually when an application is not reponding a note appears in the title bar telling you. In DP11's case this is not so. It just sits there apparently thinking to itself while I wait patiently for something to happen. I only knew that it wasn't responding when I looked at what was happening in the Tast Manager. The words "Not responding" appear in the status column next to the application name. These are the occasions and times that it was not responing for a number of operations:

Uploading web site (Converting document for export) 3m 15s
    Save site: 1m 55s
    Close document 30s
    Load application 0nly (no document loading) 5s
    Load document when application is already loaded 1m 15s

This is not invariable sometimes the actions occur immediately except for the upload. That always hangs for ages.

Your thoughts on this would be very welcome.

Theo

Default Re: DP 11 Not responding

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    For a long timw now I have been concerned about the slowness of DP when performng some operations. I had been putting it down to the limitations of my computer that might not be the case.

Usually when an application is not reponding a note appears in the title bar telling you. In DP11's case this is not so. It just sits there apparently thinking to itself while I wait patiently for something to happen. I only knew that it wasn't responding when I looked at what was happening in the Tast Manager. The words "Not responding" appear in the status column next to the application name. These are the occasions and times that it was not responing for a number of operations:

Uploading web site (Converting document for export) 3m 15s
    Save site: 1m 55s
    Close document 30s
    Load application 0nly (no document loading) 5s
    Load document when application is already loaded 1m 15s

This is not invariable sometimes the actions occur immediately except for the upload. That always hangs for ages.

Your thoughts on this would be very welcome.

Theo
    Theo, is your PC 32-bit? What memory does it have?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Kington, Herefordshire. I used to live on a boat on the English waterways

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Theo, is your PC 32-bit? What memory does it have?

Acorn
    Its a 64 bit Dell with 4GB RAM and a 440GB HD of which 190GB is free. 2Ghz Intel Pentium.

Theo

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Its a 64 bit Dell with 4GB RAM and a 440GB HD of which 190GB is free. 2Ghz Intel Pentium.
    Theo
    Theo, the problem is the 4GB RAM. Close everything else and run Task manager and run your time tests again.
    Memory will bottle out at some point.

If you can upgrade to 8GB RAM, do so.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

If you don't know what memory type/speed you have, use CPU-Z.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Check prices at Newegg.com or at a local store.
    Just take a peek at the Ram slots in your board and see if they're paired and how many slots you have available.

Crucial has a great tool for telling you the max memory and memory type that's required. You can use it and then source memory wherever you wish.