Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Screen size

Hi,
    does anyone know the statistics for screen size, ie. what percentage of people use 800 by 600 and what percantage use 1024 by 768?
    cheers
    chuck
    IP

Hi,
    does anyone know the statistics for screen size, ie. what percentage of people use 800 by 600 and what percantage use 1024 by 768?
    cheers
    chuck
    IP

Chuck,

Take a look at

The Counter

Mickie
    IP

wow, thats interesting, i didn't think so many people would still use 800 by 600.
    IP

What is the reason for so few people using higher resolutions? I'm sure a healthy percentage is because they don't even know how (my dad), I would think it would be more than 3% for 1280x1024. What do you guys use, and what kind of monitors? Well, nevermind, I'll post a new topic and ask. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-fodo
    IP

Thing is, LOTS of people who use terminals for business apps don't need anything higher than 800x600.

If you look at a large workplace (I'm assuming some of these figures were gathered from people at work), assume that the majority of computers use some kind of proprietary application (a call centre app, a POS system or word processors even). Now assume that for these apps, a computer with onboard video will more than adequately do the job (as opposed to the 32 and 64 MB vid cards that most graphic design and gamers have in their boxes). This being the case, 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 to a lesser degree, are the highest res' that one might ever NEED to see on a machine. Even in the home, unless you're a hardcore gamer or designer (which make up LESS of the market than business and "casual" home users), an 800 x 600 res is usually what people go for, as it is easier on the eyes.

Further, laptops and LCD screens tend not to run so well past their native resolution of 800 x 600.

I myself would LOVE to see every monitor I have run at 1600 x 1200 @ 32 bpp, but I'd also like every one I have to be a 21"+ monitor, too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Actually, I never, ever have my browser maximized at 1024 x 768 - it just takes up too much damn real estate and is mucho pain when you have multiple windows open, as I do.

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP