Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NTrig? Does it work?

As of this afternoon I'm a proud owner of an Acer R7 laptop/tablet. Wonderfull screen (15" 1080HD IPS), wonderfull layout and at first sight a remarkable machine. And it comes with a NTrig digitizer! So one can use the screen as a drawingboard. Nothing new here since I own tablets since 2004.

But they had Wacom hardware and Ntrig is the new kid on the block, now even used in the MS Surface3 Pro.

Anxious I loaded Xara Designer Pro. And it doesn't work like it should!

First I had to delve in the registry just to let Xara believe there's something like a stylus (HKey_CU\Software\Xara\...\Options\Dragging and changing EnableTouch to 0. So it picks up the pen and one can actually do things with it. But the pressure sensitivity isn't picked up at all!

Bummer...

It is being registered in Journal but Xara shows no signs that it sees the pressure delivered by the pen.

Then I tried to install the WinTab drivers for N-Trig. but alas, still no sign...

Is there a Xara or ComputerConcept engineer in the house that can figure out how to get this combination to work.

I'm entitled to try this machine for 7 days and can send it back without any costs. But I'd rather like to keep it and I can't beleieve that Xara misses out on this. That would mean that Xara won't be of use on a Surface Pro 3!?

Default Re: NTrig? Does it work?

Have you selected this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pen.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	102295
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Off course. Even deselected and selected it. You never know. Tried 32 bit version and 64bit version. Tried with and without wintab drivers (32 and 64 bit versions) Oh, Acer provides, quite sensibly with 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64.

Even used XaReg to change some settings.

It just won't work?

have you checked out the registry entries in ...options\PenSupport ?

PressureMode is set to 1 [for standard pressure sensitivity] - but there may be other keys there [I cannot check because I do not have an equivalent installation - for example EnableTouch key is not present at all on either of my computers] and, you never know, other values may work if you feel experimental [and have backed registry up of course]

That setting is either 0 or 1 and is changed by the program itself. It reflects the state of the "Enable/Disable Pressure Recvording".

I've tried the tablet and all sorts of combinations with N-Trig drivers.

Seems I've bought a truly wonderful Laptop/Tablet that I'd recommend to anyone except that it's no use when one relies on pressure sensitive pen support.

Last resort would be a final word someone from Xara who would share some light on this and give some more insight in Xara support for N-Trig devices. As far as I can see the same issues happen on the Surface Pro 3 and the Dell XT2.

yes I know that - the main point was are there any other keys in Options\PenSupport on your installation - I take it the answer is no

I have no idea which version of designer pro you are using as you didn't say, and your profile is unhelpful in this regard

also registry keys can be installation specific - different on a tablet to a desktop - I do not have the Options\Dragging EnableTouch key at all, so I do not know if that is because it is a ver 9 feature, a tablet install only feature, or what - I am running xdpx on windows 8.1 laptop and win 7 desktop...

I'd raise a support ticket with Xara re your tablet not working properly... they may need specific details about your setup...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'd raise a support ticket with Xara re your tablet not working properly... they may need specific details about your setup...
    Sounds like good advice handrawn
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'll.... errr.... need your wonderful new laptop as well to test

Ya send a ticket and we'll run through some stuff. Not sure off the top of my head what is wrong so bare with me.

Personally speaking, I'd rather bear with you.... :

I tried the trial version of Xara Designer Pro X. Usually I work on Portege M700 with a licensed copy from my work (Landschapsbeheer Groningen, that's the Landscape Management) I'll ask our IT-staff to raise the ticket.

Laptop was returned yesterday. Now I'm aiming for the Thinkpad Yoga Pro. At least that one's got Wacom tech on board.

Consider the case closed. But I'd advise you to try a Surface Pro 3. It uses the N-Trig technique as well and there seem to be a lot of applications that won't work with that digitizer. (source: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/201...ns-what-doesnt)

In case you find an answer before releasing Xara Deshgener pro 2014 let me know...