Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Request for version 12 exports

If thisd post should go anywhere else to get more noticed, please PM me.

I'd love to see alphabetical order for exports, either file extension or name of type of file. The current arrangement makes no sense and costs time hunting down, for example PDF, because it's not Adobe PDF. But that's a minor anomaly; can we please have the Export list sorted in some way? And can we please have "All file types" on the list? I got stuck on PDF export until I did a wildcard-dot-wildcard in the files of type box (then hit enter):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53abf1b96b9512af15e0fb9490d44814.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	111494

Does anyone see rhyme or reason to the current list?

I'd settle for just rhyming!

TIA,

Gary

Default Re: Request for version 12 exports

Gare, from memory I recall Steve Ledge pointed out the XML file at C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X11\FileFormats.xml.
    At some point I must have moved my PDF entry higher up as mine is in the seventh slot.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I think the export dialog like Topsy, just grew. It has been unruly for several versions and requests to tidy it up have been made. But it never hurts to mention this again.

Features get added and then forgotten so they languish from version to version to version. The bitmap tracer comes to mind. There is much that could be improved here, something closer to Vector Magic. I would gladly pay for a version with absolutely no new features, just all the existing features updated, fixed where necessary, and improved if possible.

I always edit the XML file to put the export/import types in an order that makes sense to me.

Found this link, down to Mike (mwenz): http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...417#post451417.
    He pointed out there was an earlier Post.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Btw. Make a copy of the as installed version before editing...

But...speaking of a feature request regarding the export dialog, it would be nice if Xara did what Corel has done. Which is to add the last 5 or whatever export file types to their own section at the top of the export dialog list. Like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture-000011.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	111498

Which would obviate (to whatever degree) the need to edit an XML file.

Mike

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree with Gare, thhere should be some sort of tiding done to the list or have a feature built in to the program that would allow users to set the order they want without having to go in and edit the XML file. perhaps a way to drag and drop the listings in the order that makes sense to the user, Gare would find it helpful to have them in alphabetical order, I'd find it helpful to have files I use most often in a section at the top like .pdf, .png, etc. and then a second section below that is all in alphabetical order.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you, folks!

I did it; I pushed the perennial un-favorites such as JPEG2000, PCX, and WMF (who on Earth needs Windows Metafile?!) to the bottom of the list.

Question: Because I truly dislike a few of the file formats, can you make text smaller in XML?

I'm kidding; thanks again!

-gary