Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to back up Xara's workspace settings?

This happened to me twice now.
    I had painstakingly rearranged all tools, bars and buttons to my liking.
    I had my defaults defined and my template set.

Right until everything was back to factory default from one day to the next.
    One time it was after my computer crashed while Xara was open, the other time I can't remember.

However, before I go through all the rearranging again, how can I backup my workspace in case it resets again?

Thanks!

Default Re: How to back up Xara's workspace settings?

If you made up your own control bar from new and you have the option of naming it and saving it as your own the all you do is to call that up. I haven't tried to do this in years so this behavior might have been changed honestly don't know. The rest of your settings can be saved with saving a page as a template that still works I know that things like colour palette.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    If you made up your own control bar from new and you have the option of naming it and saving it as your own the all you do is to call that up. I haven't tried to do this in years so this behavior might have been changed honestly don't know. The rest of your settings can be saved with saving a page as a template that still works I know that things like colour palette.
    Thanks, that's a different way of doing it, but it would work for me.
    I created and named a new Bar and put all the tools into that I need.
    However, I can't really "save" the Bar by means of backup?
    I fear it will be gone when the next "Reset" happens?
    Same thing for the tools.

My template ist still working, but after the resets it's no longer my default template and I just have to set it again.

All in all this situation is less than optimal, there has to be a way to REALLY back up those settings?

There is a registry hive that has this information. That branch of the registry can be exported and imported. As for the template(s), you need to back that up manually in the event of having to reinstall/reset.

Xara really needs to (should) add the facility for backing up the workspace.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    There is a registry hive that has this information. That branch of the registry can be exported and imported. As for the template(s), you need to back that up manually in the event of having to reinstall/reset.

Xara really needs to (should) add the facility for backing up the workspace.
    You wouldn't know where exactly in the Registry?
    I searched it for "Xara", found a multitude of entries, but none looked like those settings.

By the way, I absolutely second, that there should be an "official" option for backing up the workspace, or even worspacES.

By the way, I absolutely second, that there should be an "official" option for backing up the workspace, or even worspacES.
    Yep. Me too. I cannot begin to count the number of times I have had to rebuild my custom toolbar.

I am moving this thread to Dear Xara where such feature requests are made.

I would also vote for this feature. Just have got my toolbars reset when Windows opened Xara in the background waiting for me to decide if I wanted to assign the .web file extension to it. I didn't notice that and started Xara again...... This is a reproduce-able scenario in my installation.

The 1.4.4.0 version of XaReg had an option to export both toolbars and settings. I placed this explicit version at http://jippe.home.xs4all.nl/XaReg1440.zip. (Yup, it's 1.4.0.0 all right)

You can save setting and toolbar from the "File menu"->Save. You can merge them in the registry by clicking File->Load.

Use at you own risk. The file is IMO virus free. I've used this method on several occassions without any problems but be warned: YMMV ....
    Last edited by Michael; 25 January 2016 at 03:05 PM.

Would be really wonderful to -- finally -- have the possibility to save out and load custom toolbar settings!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The 1.4.4.0 version of XaReg had an option to export both toolbars and settings. I placed this explicit version at http://jippe.home.xs4all.nl/XaReg1440.zip. (Yup, it's 1.4.0.0 all right)

You can save setting and toolbar from the "File menu"->Save. You can merge them in the registry by clicking File->Load.

Use at you own risk. The file is IMO virus free. I've used this method on several occassions without any problems but be warned: YMMV ....

Michael, that is super, thank you so much!
    Virustotal says, the file is safe and that's good enough fo me ;-)

I just saved my toolbars and hopefully the next time something happens to them, I will have backup.
    Totally solved my problem, thanks again!