Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: strechy image

Default strechy image

Hello,
    I am struggeling with an issue in regard to a strechy image, I would like to use as a header.
    With XDP11 it seems to be easy and I tried a lot, but can`t figure out the logic behind the XDP-11 set-up to generate that stretchy image.
    Here is my general understanding which seems to be not correct:
    When making a picture strechy (strech to hole width of browser) my understanding is, doing this with the certain tool of XDP-11 and using the scaling function, it will strech the image to the width of the browser, no matter which screen is used. For sure, if resolution is weak, it might become a pixeled foto on big screens. But it should become streched over the entire width.
    Now, looking at standard screens it works fine, but opening same page on my 27" Mac (not a 4K screen) it won`t become streched over the entire width anymore and stops somewhere in strechting, so that on the right and left side of the foto is an empty space.
    Why this ?

And the even more cofusing thing is:
    When I import a website theme from the design gallery (e.g. the Polar-Theme - Shop Page) the behaviour is different.
    Means, when I make this picture of the the polar-theme used as header a strechy image, it will be streched over the entire screen, even on the 27" Mac.
    Now, replacing the Polar-header picture with my own picture which did not work properly on 27" before, it works now prefectly.
    The only issue, I need a header which has different height than the Polar-Header Theme. So I cannot simply copy and paste the Polar-Theme Header into my webside and replace the picture.
    And another phenomea, I have no idea why it happened:
    When I change the height of the Polar-Header and make it "strechy", It won`t work anymore on 27" Mac Screen.
    Only the original size works fine.

I am sure, when I understand better the logic behind the XDP-11 strechy solution, I may understand the phenomas I recognized and maybe understand what is possible and what might be not.

This is why I set this post, maybe someone has an idea ?

Ciao,
    Freewind

Default Re: strechy image

Welcome to TG Freewind.

I can't honestly understand your problem. Could you post your xar file & perhaps some screengrabs showing the issue you're having?

Now, looking at standard screens it works fine, but opening same page on my 27" Mac (not a 4K screen) it won`t become streched over the entire width anymore and stops somewhere in strechting, so that on the right and left side of the foto is an empty space.
    Why this ?
    Are you sure you don't have Entire Height selected?

Here's a screen grab of the polar theme stretched over my dual 24" monitors. It stretches as expected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stretchy.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	111509  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Freewind, I also have a 27 inch monitor and below you will find a screen grab of the polar template, store page with the header picture stretched using centre. It stretches as expected.

Ciao

Roly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polar store page with header picture on stretch centre 2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	111513  
    Last edited by roly; 14 January 2016 at 08:36 PM.

Hello Egg/Roly,

thanks for looking at it and your comment.
    Obviously I did not express myself properly, please appologize.
    Yes, you are correct, the Polar-Theme Template (e.g.the Store-Page) works perfectly when you make the header picture streched, using center and steched entire width. It also appears like it should be when you watch it on a 27" Screen (e.g.Mac)

So what is the problem?
    a)
    Well, try to use any own picture on a blank side and make it "strechy over the entire width".
    Then I can see that it does not fill the entire width on very large screens (like 27").

b)
    If you change the Polar-Theme original header picture in height, it impacts the functionality at a certain point and then it also won`t become streched over the entire width on very large screens.

So I wonder what happened there ?

My next action (but I need some time, maybe over the weekend I give it a try):
    I am not sure whether I did perform all the tests above only in "preview-mode" or already used the "browser-mode".
    I recognized that the pre-view mode does not show the "zoom" effect like the real browser-view does.
    And maybe, the issue I describe above is only a pre-view mode issue and not "real".
    As mentioned, I will double check during week-end.
    (If I have clarity with that and still see the issue, I will post an example file for better communication)

Ciao,
    Freewind

Hi Freewind,

I understand your issue, because it has happened to me in the past, I now always scroll out as far as I can to make sure the stretch is full.

What happened to me is that I tried to resize the picture before making it stretchy and thusly gave the picture some extra width whith no pixels in it. (that happens when the ratio lock is on)

On a smaller screen I wouldn't see it, but on the wide (I also have a 27") it would appear.

What helped was to click the photo twice to get the cutting outlines, drag them to exactly the edges of said photo, removing whatever falls outside it.

Then I created a bitmap copy, just for the future so I wouldn't use the wrong file again and it was perfectly stretched.

What happened to me is that I tried to resize the picture before making it stretchy and thusly gave the picture some extra width whith no pixels in it. (that happens when the ratio lock is on)
    That shouldn't be happening Spitsoor, unless you've also selected something behind the photo. ??
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

well, it does, when you pull down on an image it resizes the image, when you pull to the side, it just drags empty pixels.... no idea why though.

I visualized it for you

pic 1 is three times the same image on an empty document, so nothing else selected. first is original, second is when pulling on the side handle, third is pulling on the bottom handle.

pic 2 is the image pulled at the sides set to full width. you clearly see that it doesn't fill the whole window.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fw1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	111525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fw2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	111526

HelloSpitsoor,

your input is very valuable, I will check with that.
    Meanwhile I have figured out the following:
    The only "big" screen (27") I have is my Mac. As one knows, XDP is not made for Apple environment, so that I use Parallels along with it.
    Now, when using the pre-view mode, it shows steched image sometimes, sometimes not (I could not identify the rule behind that, but Spitsoor gave a hint on this.
    When using the "browser" mode, it only can use the Explorer, but also there it is sometimes coming up correctly, sometimes not.
    But when I make a html and then open the index-file with my browser (in this case Safari) it shows everything properly.
    If I go via "Parallels" and look the index-file with Explorer it shows same issue, sometimes pictures are well streched, sometimes not.

Now I am sensitive in regard to Spitsoor`s input and double check with that.

Thanks so far,
    Freewind

well, it does, when you pull down on an image it resizes the image, when you pull to the side, it just drags empty pixels.... no idea why though.
    Sorry Spitsoor, my aplogies, you are correct, it does act this way in a web document. I remember now, it was introduced in this release I believe, but I can't remember the thinking behind it.
    Egg