Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to make changes to Desktop or Mobile Versions INDIVIDUALLY?

Hi guys,

We have just started using Xara Web Designer 11 Premium to build our website. We have a pretty good look so far, however is there any possible way to make individual changes to either the Mobile or the Desktop versions without it reflecting on the other?

For example for our mobile site we don't want as much text as our desktop site - is there a way to add or remove it from the mobile site without this also changing the desktop one?

We are using one of the templates from the Designs Gallery at present.

Thanks!
    Jay

Default Re: How to make changes to Desktop or Mobile Versions INDIVIDUALLY?

Right click on the item you want to update manually, select website variants/ stop sharing. Once you do this you will not automatically update changes.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Welcome to TalkGraphics Jay

Hello and welcome Jay,

For example for our mobile site we don't want as much text as our desktop site
    Just out of interest, why do you want the two variants to have different content? To start off, you're creating double the work for yourself. If you edit the desktop variant, the mobile variant remains unchanged, and requires seperate editing.

What adavantage are you gaining?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hello and welcome Jay,

Just out of interest, why do you want the two variants to have different content? To start off, you're creating double the work for yourself. If you edit the desktop variant, the mobile variant remains unchanged, and requires seperate editing.

What adavantage are you gaining?
    I have to say i've done this for varying reasons. Sometimes it's space constraints where the Main variant fits rather nicely width wise, but the Mobile variant spills over and creates an extremely brief next line - sometimes there's just one word on this next line and it looks like crap. Othertimes this is due to manipultion of images - again things look terrible on the Mobile variant. And if using the Mobile variant and then massaging the Main variant - the Main looks lousy. So - yes - altering the wording for these noted reasons (and I'm sure other reasons) is done for a better overall asthetic experience.

BTW - if you start by sharing content amongst variants, it really is not such a big deal to stop sharing and edit as explained above.

NOW - HAVING SAID THIS ... I sure have experienced the times when you THOUGHT the wording was reasonably set in stone ... LOL ... and then you have to massage the crap out of many pages. As a matter of fact, I'm doing this right now for one client. But, it really is no big deal ...
    Get the Main then get the Mobile wording as needed and "copy > paste > paste replacing section" for each variant's pages and you can blow through MANY pages quite easily.