Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Disable control points in sketched lines?

The last line drawn with the Freehand and Brush tool shows control points:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	control_points.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	111425

I find them confusing. Is it possible to disable control points altogether when sketching?

Anyhow, I wonder what is perhaps a better tool than Xara to do vector sketching. Definitely missing is the ability to draw points, i.e. as short lines, with the click of the mouse button / touch of the stylus.
    Last edited by feklee; 08 January 2016 at 09:05 PM.

Default Re: Disable control points in sketched lines?

If you just want to click to add nodes (points) then the shape editor tool would be the one to use, or the straight line tool.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Farrelly View Post
    shape editor tool would be the one to use, or the straight line tool.
    I don’t understand your response: How can you sketch with these?

Quote Originally Posted by feklee View Post
    The last line drawn with the Freehand and Brush tool shows control points:

Name:	control_points.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	111425

I find them confusing. Is it possible to disable control points altogether when sketching?

Anyhow, I wonder what is perhaps a better tool than Xara to do vector sketching. Definitely missing is the ability to draw points, i.e. as short lines, with the click of the mouse button / touch of the stylus.
    Not as far as I know.
    The last one shows the control points so you cn latch onto one and continue the line or but shift selecting another you can join the lines to make one continuous line.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

They control points only appear when you release the mouse select button . At this point (!), press the Esc key.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    They control points only appear when you release the mouse select button . At this point (!), press the Esc key.
    I don’t want to touch the keyboard when doing quick sketches. IMHO sketching should be as close as possible to using pen and paper. The problem with control points is that, especially when dense, they obscure the shape of the last drawn curve. This makes it hard, for example, to precisely position the next curve. All in all, sketching with Xara is not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by feklee View Post
    I don’t want to touch the keyboard when doing quick sketches. IMHO sketching should be as close as possible to using pen and paper. The problem with control points is that, especially when dense, they obscure the shape of the last drawn curve. This makes it hard, for example, to precisely position the next curve. All in all, sketching with Xara is not fun.
    Then stop holding the select button and click with it once somewhere else and release.

If not that, then zoom in closer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Then stop holding the select button and click with it once somewhere else and release.
    Clicking after each line stroke? I want to sketch like with pen and paper, i.e. fast!

@feklee
    What Xara program are you running?

Load XaReg http://xara-users.info/xr2help/xr2/XaReg2.zip and choose your program.
    Under Mouse tab:

Name:	mouse xareg.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	111435
    Chk Auto deselect
    Last edited by Fred C; 09 January 2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add graphic
    ~Fred

While the control points are not hidden, have you tried using the Sketch Mode button set to on? It at least prevents successive lines from connecting to each other when start/end points overlap. You could also set the handle size to its smallest size which they then are far less obtrusive.

For either of those things, one must either edit the registry or use XaReg to set them (which is what I use).