Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cannot upload in xara version 11

Hi support team,
    Happy New Year

Please help - I have had trouble uploading my website in version 11.
    Upload got stuck on file "XARAWDEmbeddedfont1.ttf". I asked for your help last month & received instructions but could still not upload.

Please note:
    I have no idea what this file/font is. To my knowledge I have not used it
    Also, please note, in desperation I tried to upload thru my old version 7 and it worked!

It would appear you have a bug in V11?
    Please advise what I can do to upload in V11 - Happy to remove the file/font but need to know how.
    Also, what info can I give you to assist in debugging this apparent V11 problem.
    I am desperate for help

Rgds,
    Brett

Default Re: Cannot upload in xara version 11

Welcome to TalkGraphics Brett

Does this happen with any other site? Can you created a simple one page site and see if this is still happening?

I am sure support would have suggested this, but in case they did not, can you close Web Designer, then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator? This will sometimes clear up a problem like this.

I have built other websites & they do work fine.
    One site had upload sticking on a particular picture. I got around it by removing "enlarge on click". Wierd hey.
    Still desperate for help on this one

Did you do as Gary suggested? Can you attach the .xar/.web file or post it to Dropbox if to large?

EDIT: It could also be down to the following.

Type 1 is a font format which came to market together with PostScript and the Apple LaserWriter. This is the reason why the font format is sometimes called PostScript Type 1, even though you can also print these font on non-PostScript devices since the early nineties.
    Since Type 1 is over 20 years old, it is positively ancient in technology terms. The format has effectively been superseded by OpenType, which keeps all the advantages of Type 1 and adds cross platform compatibility and a slew of sophisticated typographic features.
    Some of the key limitations of Type 1:

• It does not allow for more than 256 glyphs (character shapes) to be included in a single font. There is a special flavor of Type 1, called CID fonts, that gets around this limitation but it relies on a rather rigid “character collections” mechanism. Old (pre-2003) output devices sometimes cannot handle CID fonts properly.
    • Type 1 fonts are not cross-platform. There are tools to convert Mac fonts to Windows and vice versa but the conversion can be a hassle.
    • The font format stores its data in a number of separate file (the minimum being 2 files).
    • Since the font format is soo old, font names stick to the 8 character limit of the older DOS days. The cryptic names makes it difficult to determine which typeface is stored in a file.
    Source:
    http://www.prepressure.com/fonts/basics/type1
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Tried opening xara v11 under administrator, but still cannot upload, gets stuck at same file xaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont1.ttf.
    Happy to send .web file to you but too big for attachment here, pls advise how I can dropbox it too you - I have dropbox setup on my computer.
    The web site is peninsulachildrensshoes.com.au
    Appreciate your help
    Rgds,
    Brett

PROBLEM RESOLVED:
    I have resolved this problem myself.
    I ran a scan on the computer for the offending file XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont1.ttf. This search found it as the type font PALATINO LINO type font.
    I was then able to search my website for where the Palatino font was used, I then changed it to ARIEL (a common font) and was able to upload my website.
    This was a simple solution that the support team could learn from.
    It would appear V11 does not support the font PALATINO where as V7 does. Like I suggested, its a bug in V11.
    But thanks anyway, I hope I have helped debug a fault in V11.
    Kind regards,
    Brett