Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Back...

Default Re: It's Back...

If I was any of the two Gary's I would be really rude to Xara
    Agree 100% Albacore.

As for work in progress Acorn, it should never have been implemented until it was complete.

Totally disrespectful to the two main TG/XX contributors in my opinion.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gary, I found a working part of the earlier years here: http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/tutorials.html.
    The http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/workbook.html still has failing links.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn. That link was helpful.

Lets hope they get is fixed.
    Too much useful information to lose.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    ... If I was any of the two Gary's I would be really rude to Xara all that work, all of the super resource, and that good will which has been put in, just left to what be unloved and unlinked, poor poor show.
    Quite so, Peter. But surely the villain of the piece isn't so much Xara, but the parent company.
    Here's a quote from the Magix website:

"MAGIX is an international publisher of high-quality and user-friendly software. As the European market leader,
    we have been developing award-winning PC software since 1993. But what makes us stand out is not the many
    awards we have won, but our continued passion for innovation and easy-to-use software.
    This is why we've made it our goal in the future to make the creation of amazing
    music, videos, websites and graphics possible for everyone." (my italics).

The failure to treat the old XaraXone with due respect isn't exactly "...making the creation of amazing
    music, videos, websites and graphics possible for everyone."

All the hard work and talent that went into making the Xone what it used to be, appears to count for very little in Berlin.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Maybe I have been to hasty in decrying Xara.com. Just from using the search most if not all of Gary B's vids are listed it's just Gary P's html formated tuts that are missing. That makes it just the first 15 years. You can get into these years but it requires a bit more perseverance on behalf of the user. I have just downloaded my favourite Gary P's tutorial ever just to make sure and I have viewed it online as well.

I think that steering users who have problems in a drawing to a certain tutorial which you know could help has just got much more difficult. This is just the result of the parent company thinking they could get rid of Gary B without thinking of there actions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final_bear.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	111343  
    Design is thinking made visual.

I should have said that you have to insert the word "site", example http://site.xaraxone.com/html/2006_tutorials.html as instructed in post #6 by RKissane. Rule of thumb here is to download the zip file as it is far more reliable. Still it's a fair amount of fannying about to do a simple task and it is still such a waste. 15 years of work from Gary P and others Derek Cooper, Bob Hann, Egg, William Klegg, Alexander Grigoriev, Kane Rogers and I could go on! All helping the Xone to be a place to go to for help and inspiration.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Here's the link to Gary Priester's 2011 Xara Xone archive. You get to the other of Gary's 15+ years of tutorials from this page, and also from the Archives button on any page that Barbara and I generated.

Name:  p.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  6.6 KB
    Go here

Gary, if you'd like to play Makeover Maven with my version of your button, please do. Name:  smsmirk.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  4.1 KB

I'm not bitter, hard as it is to imagine, but rather I'm confused as to why a company who collectively is a lot smarter and richer than I am would break one of the fundamental rules of good business practices: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You know, like the New Coke debacle 20 years ago?

Guesswork included in this post: The Xara Xone will continue with company-generated and community-generated new tutorials. New, free stuff can always be found at the same-as-usual place, and new content is available directly off TalkGraphics.

And I see no reason why the Xara Xone forum cannot continue. I'll check in and see if there are any new posts (once in a while) concerning stuff I've taught from 2011-2015. I doubt the site owners are going to volunteer a new and active moderator for the Xara Xone area of tg, but Free-For-Alls can be fun every now and then.

Here's the best link I can think of to navigate to my free stuff and the YouTube videos:

Name:  p.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  6.4 KB
    Go here

I apologize in advance if anyone thinks this post is a redirect, or I've stolen ad opportunities from the folks who now run the Xara Xone, but if you think about it, Barbara and I, along with Gary P., have put plenty of ad space on the archive pages. Six adverts with links on them, in fact, on the pages whose links were not changed.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 04 January 2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added links

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thanks for posting these links I posted a link to your post in a new thread and "stuck" it at the top of the forum

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...-Gary-and-Gary

There is a lot of content to be found following these links that you won't find in the mess that Magix has made. or at least I couldn't get there 2 days ago.

FWIW if Magix does decide to publish new content I don't think it would be anywhere near the same calibre as the content produced by Gary and Gary. And as for me I may still do the odd video and post them on the forums but TBH I just wouldn't feel right providing free content for the Magix run Xara Xone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

In case you have not figured out how to get to the link to download the tutorial Files when I was making video tutorials, there are two small icons overlaying the thumbnail on Magix's Xara Xone top page. If you click the camera icon, you go directly to YouTube, you do not pass go or get a tutorial file link, you are Surely Out of Luck.

However, if you are reading this post, you will know that clicking the tiny link icon or clicking the title of the video instead of the thumbnail, takes you to the original Xara Xone sub-page that Barbara and I wrote, where there is a goofy but clearly marked Download! (The tutorial files) button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guide-01.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	111374

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-the-tute-files.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	111373

My Best,

Gary

Thanks OG and Frances. Any idea if the Workbooks are linked?

Ah, they have been linked using http://archive.xaraxone.com/index.htm as the start page. A lot of work had to have gone into this unless there is a way to change all these URLs as a script. So I think the Workbooks, Brushes and Fills, Tips, etc. are still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The 15+ years of work I did seems to be gone now.
    Actually, Barbara and I backed up all 15+ years of your work before we built our iteration of the Xone, Gary.

You just do this sort of thing when you transition a site.

We still have it; ask for it any time and we'll put it in Dropbox.

We "lost" absolutely nothing in the transition.

As far as the links go, to be fair, Barbara and I worked for four years (a true Work in Progress), linking things to each other, which is the spirit of the Web and HTML. QED, Magix could not have had the same four years.

A closed system would be easier to migrate, but it wouldn't be true HTML by definition.

To continue being fair, Magix has a ton 'o work ahead of them completing links and finding stuff that obviously hasn't been discovered, and drop or revise pages such as the legal language, Call for Entries, and other stuff we felt made the Xara Xone behave like a content-driven website.

--Og
    Last edited by Gare; 04 January 2016 at 11:14 PM.