Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem with page

I created a web page including a video galley made in videolightbox. When I first created and published it everything was fiine. Then I went back in and edited out two lines of text from the end of the poge and now published the Nav buttons are messed up and the headeer image is missing - however in preview it still looks as it should

This is Preview as it should look (samw in all browsers)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01preview.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	111277

This how it looks when published

Name:	2published.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	111278

and this is how it looks in Xara Editro - I have to upload the video folders direct to rhw webspace so the code can access them

Name:	3xara vbiew.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	111279

I have tried rebuilding the page but just copying the placeholders after I created the buttons but still the same

I have attached file of the page html code - if anyone can helpo I would be most grateful

FURTHER I deleted the html files from my web host and re-uploaded them to see if it wouild help - It just got worse!
    see http://videos.gbswales.co.uk
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gbswales; 23 December 2015 at 10:36 AM.

Default Re: Problem with page

Quote Originally Posted by gbswales View Post
    I have attached file of the page html code - if anyone can helpo I would be most grateful

FURTHER I deleted the html files from my web host and re-uploaded them to see if it wouild help - It just got worse!
    see http://videos.gbswales.co.uk
    You will need to upload the design file itself to TG; working from generated code is never going to fault-find the problem.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, there's a lot of issues currently with your present site, and as Acorn states there's no way we can help without your xar or web file.

On the use of VideoLightBox and the other app you seem to be overcomplicationg the issue. I did respond to a couple of posts you did recently re VLB but I think you missed the point. There's no need to save to your local machine, nor get involved with html editing. I hope this helps:

Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thumbs up Re: Problem with page

Thanks for your video and I am pleased to say that I learned a couple of things about videolightbox even though I have used it several times before - just not with Xara. I can see for example that allowing the columns to expand might cause issues)

I would explain that I am fairly old school when it comes to websites in that I like to have the whole website running from my hard drive before I upload it to my web server as it is much easier (for me at least) to manage files on my local computer. That aside there is something I would llike to ask about your i/frame method - it looked to me as if the thumbnails appeared in the i/frame on the background set in videolight box - what I am trying to do is to get the thumbnails to appear on my Xara page backround along with additional text, standard banner and navigation bar - so that it maintains the site theme across all pages. Similar to this (which is a set of thumbnails linking to my Jalbum galleries --it is just the appearance that I want to achieve.

Name:	gallery style.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	111284

I achieved this in my first image in the original post - it looked right both in preview and when published to xara.hosting. The problems started however when I edited the one page and took out just two lines of normal text, and uploaded it to my normal webhost (1and1)

Does your method still work to import agallery into an already existing and styled page? I will probably haved a go in any event.

I didnt really buy Xara to get away from html coding as at one time I was taught to build web pages in notepad! However as more advanced tools CSS / javascript and HTML 5 came long I decided that I wasnt really up to learning all the new features - I did struggle with Dreamweaver for a while because Front Page was dropped by Microsoft but then started to look around for something that had more of a wysiwig approach.

I will make another ost with the original xara file for anyone to look at but I am at a loss to understand what screwed up the rendering of the two nav buttons or the loss of the logo on my banner - both of which are fine in preview mode

The little site itself is not very important - I was trying create a step by step guide to using the two llightbox tools in Xars, based on what I had read elsewhere - but I am now nervous about incorporating llightbox galleries into a large website I am currently building in case it screws things up as it has here.

Another approach suggested (may ahve been you) was putting the actual videos on different layers of the page with the thumbnails linking to a layer - I stasrted this but found after two layers this got so confusing that I never knew what layer I was on.

It's not that I want to use lightbox because I love it (though I did buy discounted copies) it was just that I couldnt find any way to build video galleries using the widgets supplied with Xara11

Anyway happy Christmas to you as well and thanks for making the video

I have attached the Xara file for this small website - I wasnt sure exacly what I should upload
    Although the site is probably redundant I am still perplexed by the fact that it displayes correctly in preview - except for the gallery thumbnails which are on the server, but when I publish the site to my web host it goes awry

PROBLEMS SOLVED - see my latest reply - thanks guys
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gbswales; 24 December 2015 at 12:14 AM.

Hi gbs (for want of a better name

I would explain that I am fairly old school when it comes to websites in that I like to have the whole website running from my hard drive before I upload it to my web server
    How about reversing that point of view? Get one thing working on your site, one at a time, that way it's simpler to chase down errors than chasing up an error within the whole site.

For example, on my example directory, I know that the following directory and link works as expected:

http://parkeston.com/vlb-2/index.html

Therefore I know this part of my site functions as expected etc...., so if something isn't, I can hopefully remove this link fron my error searching?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Dont worry guys - I think I have cracked it one of the issues was that I had created individual navigation buttons and then changed the text and links, rather than insert a proper navigation bar, this was causing some of the copied buttons to not diplay properly - the other issue was that the website files worked much better published direct from Xara rather than from the exported files on my computer. I have still used the code in placholdersa because this enables me to retain the websites look and feel on the gallery pages - special shout to Egg Bramhill because it was his suggestion that led me to publish the pages from xara. His way is fine, and simpler, for people that like to keep clear of coding but as I say I wanted the Xara theme and not the videolightbox theme to be dominant on the page

The website details the steps that I took and which now appear to work http://videos.gbswales.co.uk