Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Magnetic Snap Radii

I know there is a default setting for these, but if I wanted the very best accuracy for very detailed drawings, what is the minimum to which I could set them?

Anyone know?
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Magnetic Snap Radii

Maybe this will help ... When I needed greater precision, I created a: "New unit..." of measure: "mils".
    Go to: Utilities > Options > Units and:
    1. Select "New unit..."
    2. Give it the name "mils", Abbreviation: "mil", Size: "1000", is equivalent to: "1" "Inches"

You will now see this new Unit of measure appear within the "Unit definition" field. Once there, you can now select your new UOM in the "Page" drop-down field. If you don't like what you created, you can "Delete unit".

Bottom line - you can create the precision you need. Now as for this extending to the snap function, I'd think so but do not know for sure.

Ron - There have been many problems caused by a snap radii setting that was too low.

Make a note of the setting you have currently. Then try entering lower amounts and see if these new settings are better. But keep the current settings before you start in case you want to go back to the default settings. I suspect some of this depends on your graphics card, your monitor, your input device and its sensitivity.

The snap radii are measured in screen pixels (rather than document pixels) so if you zoom in they effectively become smaller in the document and thus more accurate.

So I suggest it's best to set them to be a few pixels and when you more accuracy zoom in. You can use outline quality rendering and layer and object visibility in the Page & Layer gallery to temporarily simplify the display so you can see what you're snapping.

Phil

Thanks all for your kind input and suggestions!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer