Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Editable lines on Shapes that are combined

I was looking back at some old Xara Xone Tutorials and I noticed that in one of them, the one where you make an etched window, Gary had done some steps where he made a couple of squares and rectangles that were overlapped in the conners. He then proceeded to turn the fill off and set the line width up to like 4pts on the overlapping squares and rectangles. In the next step he converted all the squares and rectangles to editable shapes and combined them. He then had all of the lines combined together even the overlaped portions still showing all of the lines.

If I was to do these steps with Xara now you would not get the lines to stay in the overlapped sections, You would just get an outline around the shape. I know at the time he was using a very early version of Xara. Any time I have tried to get just the outside line that is editable from a square or circle I have to make a smaller shape and subtract it from the other shape. Is there any other way to do something similar with out making a smaller shape and subtracting it to get the lines into an editable shape?

Thanks
    Ray

Default Re: Editable lines on Shapes that are combined

Ray

Gary does not remember much these days. Post a link to the page that his occurs on (I do remember the tutorial), and we'll find the new way to do this.

Gary,

The tutorial is from July of 2006, I got interested in it when I read about some memebers describing it this past year. So it took some time for me to find it and to really take a look at.

The link is
    http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/ju...trol_panel.htm

I am just curious if there is a way to do something similar because this maybe easier than what I have been doing in the past.

thanks
    Ray

"Convert line to shape", not "Convert to editable shapes"...

Phil

Phil,

I guess I should read the tutorial a little closer. It does say convert to line to shape. I have always though of the object as a shape I did not know you could convert just the line. Learn something new all the time.

Thanks

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Ray

Gary does not remember much these days. Post a link to the page that his occurs on (I do remember the tutorial), and we'll find the new way to do this.
    Ray was asking about this tut. Gary

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	111153  

One of my all time favorites, Stygg. Thanks Phil.