Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Transparent PNG not rendering properly over a slideshow.

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me why a PNG image with a transparent background is being uploaded to my site as a JPG with a black background?

See http://www.sydneyshortfilmschool.com

I think it may be because it is placed over a slideshow, but I have an animated gif placed over the same slideshow that renders fine.

I checked the uploaded file (the clapperboard logo in PNG) and it has definitely been converted to JPG. I get the same problem when previewing prior to upload.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Transparent PNG not rendering properly over a slideshow.

Quick update..!

Yes, it definitely appears to happen when I place the PNG over the slideshow. I have another instanceof the same image on that page, and upon sliding it up to cover the menu bar and the slideshow, the top half renders as a JPG while the bottom half retains its transparent background! See attached image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2015.12.10_08h15m14s_001_.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	111145

Hard to tell but the clapper-board seems to have a white shadow. If so, the image is a soft-group and I think by ungrouping them or removing the shadow, your transparency should come back.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for the quick reply!

The image isn't part of any group -although it is a Repeating Group so it's copied on each page.

Weird thing... I just tried converting it to a GIF in Photoshop and it yields the same problem - which is doubly weird since I have other, Repeating Group GIFs all around it!

I'm completely baffled!

Well, I've had a play with most of the slideshows and I cannot get a JPEG effect happening for a PNG on top.

i have found that the Slidorion Accordions always sit on top of a PNG and that the for Cycle 5, the number thumbs do the same.
    There are probably all down to bad z-indexing.

No joy on your problem so can you upload the failing design?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hello Ian, I think I've mentioned this before. The image is not exporting as part non-transparent, part transparent. I'ts just creating a jpg made up of the png with a transparent background and the background behind the image. Select the png and Web Properties / Image / Web Image Type. Xara defaults to let Xara decide. Check the PNG option instead.

This should solve your problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, you were bang on the money!

Did as said - problem solved!

Thanks Acorn as well.

All the best,

Ian

Glad to be of assistance
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host