Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I get my Line Gallery back? / How do I add arrow heads?

Xara Designer Pro X10

Hello

My Line Gallery seems to have disappeared. How can I get it back?

Background:
    I have tried Control/F9 but that has no effect. It's not visible at the right hand side of the page beside Design Gallery, Page & Layer Gallery. If I right click on the dark blank area about the 3rd line from the top of the screen and tick Galleries, it does not appear there either.

EDIT 01:
    And if I right click on a line "Line Gallery" is permanently ticked... but where (the heck) is it?

EDIT 02:
    Okay, I've finally worked it out. The Line Gallery no longer seems to appear with all the other galleries. Plus you *MUST* have the Straight Line tool selected. [GRRR!!]

FEEDBACK: Sorry but this is quite irritating because you can have a curved line with arrow heads, so how come I can't see the line gallery when I have the curved line (AKA "Shape Tool") selected?
    FEEDBACK: Also when is XARA going to give us arrow-heads that finish at the END of a line, rather than at some random point beyond the end of the line whose exact point depends on the size of the arrow head. As things stand, designing with arrow-heads is insanely messy because everything is snapping to the wrong place(!)

Many thanks

J
    Last edited by shiphen; 09 December 2015 at 05:31 PM.

Default Re: How do I get my Line Gallery back? / How do I add arrow heads?

I've had galleries disappear too in XP&GD10 ... Seems to be that double clicking on a gallery icon can cause it ... the only way I've been able to recover them is to do a RESET on the Control Bars ... of course, this means that any menu customization is going to be reset too. This may work for you, but depending on how custom your bars are, you may not want to try it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

First try Utilities > Galleries > Line Gallery

Select a line and double click on an arrowhead or tail. To add an arrow or tail to the other end of the selected line, Ctrl + double click.

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    FEEDBACK: Also when is XARA going to give us arrow-heads that finish at the END of a line, rather than at some random point beyond the end of the line whose exact point depends on the size of the arrow head. As things stand, designing with arrow-heads is insanely messy because everything is snapping to the wrong place(!)
    Quite agree. The newer Online Content catalogue Arrows work properly but are limited as you have fixed styles for the heads but, effectively, no tails. They also don't snap to objects when in QuickShape mode.

Lines need a revamp.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not true about only the Straight Line Tool works.

Try closing Xara, then reopening and a new page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	111144  

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I've had galleries disappear too in XP&GD10 ... Seems to be that double clicking on a gallery icon can cause it ... the only way I've been able to recover them is to do a RESET on the Control Bars ... of course, this means that any menu customization is going to be reset too. This may work for you, but depending on how custom your bars are, you may not want to try it.
    "Reset" worked. OK thanks. But this is definitely a bug.

> First try Utilities > Galleries > Line Gallery
    Too late to retry. However I tried this before and it failed. The problem was that Line Gallery was already ticked and refused to un-tick(!)

> Select a line and double click on an arrowhead or tail.
    > To add an arrow or tail to the other end of the selected line, Ctrl + double click.
    I double-clicking on a line, with or without Ctrl held down doesn't seem to do anything.

Meanwhile I have discovered on work-around. It's painful but works - sort of!
    Draw a line, give it an arrow-head and then go: Arrange ==> "Convert Line to Shape".
    At least I now have what looks like a line with an arrow that snaps to the correct length.

But it is frankly a disgrace that I am being forced to such counter-intuitive measures. Xara, if you're listening...
    PLEASE REVAMP LINES !