Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cryptowall virus

I have been hit by this virus coming in on a dropbox file...... My bullguard let it in .
    Is there anyone on here that has any ideas how to get files back...
    I have 3 large hard drives and a forth ssd just for the primary....I managed to turn off and unhook
    the three storage drives as soon as I realised but it encrypted some files...
    I need to get back some web files ....is this possible? ...and the Xara files.
    I had a ghosted primary ssd drive backup of programs so I can get on with work but lots of photos encrypted.
    Any help or advice will be appreciated.
    Also Be aware.

Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

Default Re: Cryptowall virus

I could make some suggestions. You might not get all your files back as they could be encrypted! First thing first you have got to get rid of the virus first so download something that will get rid of malware I use Norton and they provide tools for many of these attacks. One of my friends had such an attack recently and I got the full story and he used Spy Hunter and they had suggested that he should on an uninfected computer that he puts this programme on a disc or flashdrive. They then suggest that he opens the disc and runs Spy Hunter in Safe Mode with Networking and gets rid of the attack that way. Now I got a bit bored with the story as he had gone on about a half hour by this time but I think he said that he had been told then to reboot as normal. After that he was to do a system restore to an earlier time when he wasn't infected. Thinking back to it, if you weren't doing that much work on your computer, it would seem that a system restore would do the job without using safe mode but still run the anti-malware programme.

You might want to leave it to your local PC shop to remove malware as you have a number of disc's. Still think your going to lose some files. Hope you still have your SD card in your camera so that you get your photos back. Did the malware come in on an email or a website or have you know idea.
    Hope you get it sorted Mike.
    Design is thinking made visual.

"Crypto" malware (there are several) is notoriously difficult to get rid of, separate from the fact that it's very unlikely you'll get your encrypted files back.
    A friend had his system infected.
    I researched ways to get rid of it for several hours, and worked on the system for several more.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...mation#decrypt
    Ultimately, I decided to format the drive and reinstall Windows.
    The only way to protect ourselves is to have backup drive images copied to an external drive that is then disconnected, since any connected or networked drive given a drive letter will be infected.
    I know this is after the fact, but I use Macrium Reflect, and there is a free version. If anyone's interested and can't find the link, let me know and I'll post it.
    I wish you luck.

Hi Mike.

I've not read this article in full.
    But, it might be worth you reading it, and see if there's any advice you can make use of.

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guide...yptowall-virus

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Apologies to you Mike, I split your Thread in error in moving it to Off topic chat.

The detached threads are:

1. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...223#post545223
    2. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...225#post545225

I have asked for a Mod to stitch things back together.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I've put everything back together now I've left a temporary redirect in the web chat forum so everything should be good now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I've put everything back together now I've left a temporary redirect in the web chat forum so everything should be good now.
    Grateful, measure twice, cut once,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

And now I got my new hard drive in my machine I cannot activate my Xara ProX11
    How do I go about getting it activated .....I got 30 days

I have found what to do ....I had to de-activate my old one ...... all up and running now .

Mike
    Last edited by mikerawlinson; 11 December 2015 at 09:41 PM.
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .