Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Search & Replace vs. Find & Replace - Bug? Removed Capabilty? I'm dumb?

Using: Xara Designer Pro X 11.2.4.41531 DL x64 Nov 4 2015

Problem - I want to replace existing text with other text, and do it on a page by page basis, however it looks like either this capability was removed, or there is a "switch" I must enable to regain this ability.

Going to: Edit > Find/Replace pops up a window entitled: "Find and Replace"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FindAndReplace.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	111076
    which has fields: "Search for", "Replace with"; and check boxes: "Case sensitive", "Whole word"; along with: "Scope:" options: "All pages" and "Current text flow" - - there is NO LONGER a selectable option for "Current page" AS IS SHOWN IN XARA HELP:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SearchAndReplace.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	111077
    So am I out of luck here? Is this a bug? Is there a setting I need to change????

BTW, the HELP image shows a pop-up window entitled "SEARCH and Replace" (Not FIND and Replace) and this shows: "Current text flow", "Current page", and "All pages" and this is exactly what I'm looking for !!!

TIA

Default Re: Search & Replace vs. Find & Replace - Bug? Removed Capabilty? I'm dumb?

I think you can select the text on the current page and select Current Text Flow. When you select this option, All Pages is deselected.

No?

Default Re: Search & Replace vs. Find & Replace - Bug? Removed Capabilty? I'm dumb?

There are numerous text blocks grouped on a page, and X11 seems to have a problem staying on a given page. If there was simply ONE text block, then yes - this should work OK. My guess is "Current page" was to allow finding all instances on a selected page. So - what the hell happened to "Current page?, LOL

Hmm, I may have found a worksround - sluggish, but seems to have worked on 2 of the 23 Mobile Variant RWD pages. More testing to follow.
    If I double click on the large group of text fields, an Edit Within window opens, and it appears that it finds just within this one page. This might work out. I'll report back 21 pages from now!!

Arrg! Good luck.

OK, testing does show using Edit Inside restricts the Find part of "Find and Replace" to searching only within the "Edit Inside" window. You have to click the Find Next button, then the Replace Button when (as on my page) you do not want to replace all instances (as you would expect). If there are a large number to replace and perhaps just one you might not want to replace, I suppose (but haven't tried) you could click on Replace All, then go back and edit the single instance you did not want to replace in the first place. YMMV !!

But I'd still like to know why the "Current Page" radio button disappeared ?!?!?! I think I'll put in a job ticket. [edit: job ticket submitted]

Let us know what you hear? If you hear back?

Actually, what I just learned is the option was removed to "Simplify" the dialog. And while it may simplify the dialog, it makes it harder for the user. Xara logic I guess.

OK Folks, I received a reply from Xara. I replied with the following, somewhat tongue-in-cheek email, albeit surprised. So in part this is meant to put a humorous spin on what appears to be non-user oriented thinking. Here goes:

The Logical (?) Explanation -

Subject: [Products #IXV-669-61570]: Search & Replace (Find/Replace) "Current Page" button MISSING.

Hi,

Unfortunately this was removed a few versions ago because management wanted to simplify things....

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kindest regards
    Customer Support
    Xara Group Ltd

-------------------

My reply -

Thanks for your reply.
    Huh? It was there and taken OUT? But it doesn’t make much sense unless (a) You broke it and can’t fix it (b) management doesn’t REALLY use the tool and therefore doesn’t understand users’ needs. Let’s see, here’s an analogy:

USER Thinks: “Gee, it’s nice having a speedometer that shows both MPH and KPH which is PERFECT when I cross the US/Canadian border! Wow, GREAT Concept!!”

And in the proverbial Management vacuum, totally oblivious to their paying customers – this is going on:

Management Person #1: “You know, our speedometer has both MPH and KPH printed on the faceplate” …
    Management Person #2: “I bet that uses more ink” …
    Management Person #3: “Probably. Plus it’s a different color ink”
    Management Person #4: “Different color? Well that just has to take extra time to print this second color”
    Management Person #5: “Why not get rid of this other feature and make things simpler for us!
    Management Person #6: “Sure! The user can always employ a workaround and use a calculator!!
    Mananagement’s Boss: “Get rid of it. Make it simpler. Better for us.”
    Management Persons #1-6: “Brilliant!!”

Same User Buys New Car and crosses the US/Canadian border. Gets pulled over for speeding. Looks down at Speedo and finds the dial is different! “WTF” he says and opens the manual. And lo and behold, inside his NEW CAR’s manual is a picture of WHAT THE SPEEDOMETER FACEPLATE LOOKS LIKE. But wait – his car looks different? Really?

So this user contacts the manufacturer as now with this ticket he just got realizes he must now do more work and do a workaround. And the manufacturer says:
    “Unfortunately this was removed a few versions ago because management wanted to simplify things....”

And now, you know the rest of the story!

Credit for this phrase is owed to:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGpAHR6o-_Y