Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Info Searching in Design Gallery

This may sound pretty basic, but I can't get it to work in P&GD11.
    I was looking for a graphic element of a "ribbon of film" or "filmstrip", in which I might place a few pictures.
    I went to the Design Gallery, clicked on More... and selected "Find".
    I entered "Filmstrip" and clicked on Find First. Nothing happened (so not even a message that there were no search results).
    Entered "Film" - again nothing.
    Then I started scrolling through Clipart, but decided this was going to take forever. I noted the name of one Clipart graphic: Sun.
    I entered "Sun" (again: an existing clipart) - nothing.
    I clicked on Help. The procedure I used is described there as
    Searching for an item name

You can search, for example, for all names containing the word red:

1.Choose "More" > "Find".
    2.Type "red" into the text box.
    3.Select "Search Names & Keywords" to search only the item names, e.g. file, color, etc., or "Search All Information" to search the names and keywords available in some galleries.

Obviously, I tried that... I mean followed the steps verbatim, searching for "red". Nothing happens. So that Find function does not seem to do anything
    So how do I search for a specific element in the Gallery, because having a gallery with many cool items in it is pretty useless if you cannot search, but rather have to go through each category and actually look for what you want?

I ended up making the "filmstrip" myself, which ended up being fun to figure out, and looks okay. However, I was sort of hoping for a flowing ribbon filmstrip and what I have now is a rectangle with no curves. Oh well.

David
    Last edited by DBoydNL; 23 November 2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Fixed typo's, added a step.

Default Re: Searching in Design Gallery

No the search on the Gallery is fairly crap.

However if you want info on filmstrips Google:

site:www.talkgraphics.com/ filmstrip
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Oh great. Something else that doesn't work in a "normal way" in a Xara Product.
    Why does Magix still include the procedure for searching in the Help file, when it doesn't work, has not worked for several versions?
    I know, not your fault, just venting.

I did not use Google since I wanted a graphic/clipart (so not a JPG or PNG) that would work in G&PD11 as a sort of template. I also wanted to apply a wave of my own making to it. That ain't working on my own creation.
    I'm not sure what you mean by:
    However if you want info on filmstrips Google: (specifically the colon at the end makes this unclear)

When I click on the hyperlink, I can find some my self on the Talk Graphics forum. I have looked there and eventually entered "filmstrip" in search, found some stuff, and in the meantime responded to one (there). But you seem to say I should enter that in Google (the colon). Maybe you mean I should go to that site and then enter "Filmstrip" in Search (which I eventually did)? I am not a novice to forums, but perhaps giving just a bit more information about what you mean, might clarify what you intend?

David

Aha, that worked.
    I downloaded two examples for further study.
    Thanks

David

If you just COPY & PASTE

into Google, that will give you the search ... Clicking the hyperlink just gets you back to the forum.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Cheers Siran & Keith. Unfortunately I can't break the talkgraphics bit of the link from linking back here. Yes, copy the complete line and paste it into a Google search box.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Cheers Siran & Keith. Unfortunately I can't break the talkgraphics bit of the link from linking back here. Yes, copy the complete line and paste it into a Google search box.
    A working link would be: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...com/+filmstrip

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cheers Acorn, so you could use:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...ics.com/+glass

whereby the url needs to be :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...kgraphics.com/ plus the search requirement appended as +'search query'.

works fine provided the member knows how to use it.

Maybe athe Mods could create a "Search this forum" sticky ?

Egg

Egg, that's it.

I also created this Better TG Search Demonstrator.web a time back for such a purpose.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat