Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding a distressed look using Xara?

Hi, guys! I'm creating some new t-shirt designs, and I'd like to offer distressed versions of them as an option. But I'm not sure how to do that with Xara. Can anyone give me some advice? And thanks!

Here is one of the designs:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hungryheart3.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	110995

Default Re: Adding a distressed look using Xara?

Like the design There's quite a few threads over the years. Google:

site:www.talkgraphics.com/ distressed
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

One easy way to distress something is to use a fractal clouds transparency, or a bitmap transparency (with bitmaps just make sure your bitmap is hi enough resolution for printing)

With fractal clouds just select your design and select fractal clouds in the transparency list and adjust the handles as desired you can also click along the horizontal handle and info boxes for fractal resolution and graininess will appear giving you more ability to tweak the transparency. And if that's not enough there is an arrow on the info bar click that and you will get a box pop up with 2 profile sliders that give even more control over the way the transparency affects your design.

The Bitmap method is similar drop your bitmap into the page it can be anything you like from a hi res seamless texture to a photo of something like leather or gravel or what ever. Once you have your bitmap in the program you can delete it from the page (the program will retain it in it's memory until you close the program) Then select your design and either use the transparency tool and choose bitmap and then choose bitmap from the gallery of bitmaps that will pop up (everything in the memory) or Alternatively you can open the bitmaps gallery and choose your bitmap from there and click the transp button at the top to apply the transparency. The controls for the bitmap are much the same as the fractals except you dont have the resolution or graininess features.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	distressed example.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	110998  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks, Egg, glad you like my design!

The fractal clouds transparency looks great, anglize! I'm going to give it a try tonight. Thanks!

Have a look at this old Workbook tutporial http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook24/page_3.htm and this very old Workbook tutorial http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook03/page_3.htm

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Have a look at this old Workbook tutporial http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook24/page_3.htm and this very old Workbook tutorial http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook03/page_3.htm
    The second method is definitely worth doing.
    I've used it before and got a very good result.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Actually Fractal Plasma with some Profile adjustments works very well. If I were to do that tutorial again today I would use this method.

Name:	Distressing.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	111002  

Here's my attempt.

Name:	distressed.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	111007  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Now that is really distressing Egg.

I find if I see a free bit with the distressed texture that you like, ---> bring it in either a new page or new layer. Then use the vector trace in the Utilities menu ---> then knock it back using transparencies.
    I just remembered the last on I did I used the new art brush's to do the distressing and bugger me I can't find it this morning did and edit with the spacing. It worked well.
    Last edited by Albacore; 24 November 2015 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Missed a bit
    Design is thinking made visual.