Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Am I losing my mind? (3D->Shapes)

I don't know if I imagined this or it really happened or what, but for some reason, either in reality or a dream I forgot was a dream, I seem to remember that using 3D on a shape in Xara could output a vectorized image using Xara's style of vector options rather than a bitmap image.

Included is a screenshot of what i mean.

I haven't been able to find it again though...am I going crazy?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	false memory.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	111033

Default Re: Am I losing my mind? (3D->Shapes)

Hi hseiken,

That looks extremely similar to what the bitmap tracer tool can do, to use this, create your 3d object, create a bitmap copy, select the bitmap copy and go to Utilities >> Bitmap Tracer and change the settings and press the Trace button to update the preview until you get the right quality and number of shapes you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben.Moses View Post
    Hi hseiken,

That looks extremely similar to what the bitmap tracer tool can do, to use this, create your 3d object, create a bitmap copy, select the bitmap copy and go to Utilities >> Bitmap Tracer and change the settings and press the Trace button to update the preview until you get the right quality and number of shapes you want.
    Bitmap tracer doesn't seem to use feathering. For some reason I remember the traced 3d shape was made with xara-style feathering for highlights and such, like it 'knows the 3d shape'. For instance, when an object is rotated and the mouse is released, some extra lines/details pop up that look like regular lines with feathering...if that makes sense. The bitmap tracer seems to not use this feature of Xara's engine so the results aren't exactly anything what I'm looking for/remembering.

See example (I tried quite a few times to get it close, but the tracer is a bit unwieldly in this regard)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no_feather.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	111034

Hi hseiken, this really hurt my old grey matter but there is a way to bring Xara 3D shapes into Xara Designer but now you need the intermeadiary program Flash 8 or similar.

Here's the process I used to create the attached, all vector, .xar file:

1. Create your object in Xara 3D.
    2. Export as a "Flash vector (swf)".
    3. Open Flash 8 or similar.
    4. Import the swf file you just created in Xara 3D.
    5. File / Export / Export Image as an ai file.
    6. Open Xara Designer and import this ai file.

Note, there will be missing vector shapes especially around curved (bevelled) shapes.

So we weren't not dreaming

EDIT> I seem to recall you could import a swf file directly into Xara but there's no such filters now, even going back to Xara Xtreme, so maybe I'm dreaming too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screengrab-hseiken.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	111037  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

This is something that I wish they would add to designer pro Vector extrusions. It would be so useful to be able to convert to editable shapes and get a group of vector shapes instead of a bitmap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sorry to talk about the Other vector programme here, but I use not so much the extrude, but the revolve in Adobe Illustrator and it works. It's all vector which you can expand it and apply a better, more personable fill. Yes the extrude works, yes you can expand it, yes you can change the fill but most times it would be quicker to draw the object using their perspective grids. Who says that Adobe doesn't keep bringing in new vector tools. I just simply wish Xara would do the same but they seem to know their market and are going that way with web dev.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Sorry to talk about the Other vector programme here, but I use not so much the extrude, but the revolve in Adobe Illustrator and it works. It's all vector which you can expand it and apply a better, more personable fill. Yes the extrude works, yes you can expand it, yes you can change the fill but most times it would be quicker to draw the object using their perspective grids. Who says that Adobe doesn't keep bringing in new vector tools. I just simply wish Xara would do the same but they seem to know their market and are going that way with web dev.
    I have issues with the way their perspective grid is implemented, even though I want one in Xara. I for some reason just thought Xara was already drawing the image in this way, with it's own vectorized feathered lines for highlights because of when you stop rotating, then the lights are drawn and they look just like how I'd typically add a highlight to the object.

@Egg, thanks for the tip, I might try that. Are there any free flash alternatives? I'm a streamliner/budget artist! I'm actually running low on inks for a lot of my markers right now due to money...hahaha...