Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to see page borders (in design mode) when page and pasteboard have same color?

Hi all -

I'm sure there has to be a way but I can't seem to find it. I have black page backgrounds and also want the pasteboard to be black. Unfortunately that makes it impossible for me to tell where the page borders are. (Not really impossible--I can deduce where they are based on the "snapping" of objects near where I believe the borders to be, but that's not always clear).

I'm thinking there's some option to show a border in design mode?

TIA!
    Alex E. Luyando J.C.N. Associates, L.L.C. Microsoft Visual FoxPro, Visual Studio .NET and SQL Server database application design, development and project management

Default Re: How to see page borders (in design mode) when page and pasteboard have same color

In the screen shot you can see that it works for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pagesize.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	110876  

Default Re: How to see page borders (in design mode) when page and pasteboard have same color

Hello Siran,

That does seem like the option I would need, but alas at least for me that does not work, as showing here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmpScreenshot - 11_5_2015 , 9_01_15 AM.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	110877

I tried toggling it off and back on but still does not show the outline, unlike your screenshot which would be perfect.

I am running Windows 10, but I would not think that would matter.

Thanks anyway.
    Alex E. Luyando J.C.N. Associates, L.L.C. Microsoft Visual FoxPro, Visual Studio .NET and SQL Server database application design, development and project management

Here's one way of going about it. Create two named colours. "pasteboard" & "page". Select the pasteboard and fill it with the named colour "pasteboard". Select the page background and fill it with the named colour "page".

Work on your site as long as you wish, you'll always be able to see the page limits.

Finally before publishing your site change the named colours to #000000.

You could do it a second way. Use black as your pasteboard fill, use black as your page fill, but give it a white stroke. Just remove the stroke prior to publishing.

I prefer the first method, it's simple to change the named colour values back and forth.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hello Egg, and thanks.

I do something similar to what you suggest: I change the pasteboard's rectangle's color to something else so I can see the page boundaries, then change the pasteboard's rectangle back to match the page background before publishing.

I was hoping something like Siran's suggestion would work for me as it seems a much more elegant solution.

Thanks.

Hi Alex, I had your issue happen to me in version 10 of web designer (not designer pro) , what I did and it fixed it is the following. In the windows tab I unclicked show page size, then saved the document then closed web designer. Then reopened web designer and went to the windows tab and then clicked on show page size and all was good, I then saved it before moving on.

Ciao

Roly

Two ways:

Set the View Quality to Outline.
    Show Print Borders.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by roly View Post
    Hi Alex, I had your issue happen to me in version 10 of web designer (not designer pro) , what I did and it fixed it is the following. In the windows tab I unclicked show page size, then saved the document then closed web designer. Then reopened web designer and went to the windows tab and then clicked on show page size and all was good, I then saved it before moving on.

Ciao

Roly
    Thanks for the tip, Roly. Alas it didn't work for me. Appreciate the suggestion though!

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Two ways:

Set the View Quality to Outline.
    Show Print Borders.

Acorn
    Hi Acron,

Just tried both. I think I like the View Quality to Outline approach. Right now that's my favorite workaround for this issue.

The Show Print Borders works too, but found it curious that it change (visually--not actually in the site) my page background from black to a shade of grey. Didn't expect that, but definitely shows where the page borders are.

Thanks for the tips!

Probably your best then is to use Guides snapped to the page edges.
    Default red dashes show well on black.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat