Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Default Re: How Many Words...

Apologies, but NORTH was already used ... POST #78, and a modified later post from the rules stated that all new words must start with the last letter of the preceding word.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 20 November 2015 at 05:15 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Although not American, I'm going to go with American spelling anyway ...

TUMORS
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Guess I failed that one. Maybe I don't fully understand the rules I thought I did though. I did kind of wonder about having two e's. Is it not permissible to have an e then an R then continue on and start over and insert another e? The H part I do not understand. Sorry.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

SAD
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Guess I failed that one. Maybe I don't fully understand the rules I thought I did though. I did kind of wonder about having two e's. Is it not permissible to have an e then an R then continue on and start over and insert another e? The H part I do not understand. Sorry.
    You can't go past your starting point ... So in effect you have a run of 26 letters in alphabetical order from your starting point. So in this case TUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRS ... So from the T you can progress to H, but then NOT back to E, so what Acorn is saying is that the H blocked you from the following E.

If you can go round as many times as you like there is no word that you cannot construct.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    You can't go past your starting point ... So in effect you have a run of 26 letters in alphabetical order from your starting point. So in this case TUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRS ... So from the T you can progress to H, but then NOT back to E, so what Acorn is saying is that the H blocked you from the following E.

If you can go round as many times as you like there is no word that you cannot construct.
    just to expound on Keith's explanation -

last valid word used was SAD so next word needs to start with "D" (the last letter of the last valid word). so moving left to right one letter at a time...

DEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABC.

DENY

next word must start with "Y" and then the next 25 letters one at a time, proceeding left to right until you reach the end of the line - YZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX.

YELP

YZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX
    Keith

i'd rather give others a chance but just to help a bit more by example (and i didn't want someone to come up with a word ending in "E" )

PQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNO

PSYCHO

EDIT: psycho was already used (by me actually, beauty, eh ) but it wasn't on Acorn's list on page 8 - my bad. but it is a good example.
    so can someone else come up with a different word starting with "P" ?

Would ORACH work?

Quote Originally Posted by emcat View Post
    Would ORACH work?
    i messed up and repeated a word but continuing off my repeat i guess (PSYCHO) then yes, your word definitely works....nice one!

let's roll with it. building off ORACH the next word needs to start with an "H" now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	words_001.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	110999
    Last edited by mikeymopar; 20 November 2015 at 07:06 PM.