Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mobile variant problems, slideshow problems on ipads, animations not working

Hi. I have made about a dozen sites in WD11 Premium, all with mobile variants, and all have displayed and functioned correctly on iphones and androids. Today I created a variant for a client and have spent the past 4 hours trying to figure out what I have done differently to the previous sites as the blinking thing is not displaying as it should on iphones, ipads, or androids. These are the problems:

On iphones
    the mobile variant displays as a wee skinny thing in the centre of the screen AND it only displays about 25% of the length of the page (therefore cutting most of the content off). I have not had this happen before on any of the other sites created in WD11P. Here is a couple of sites where the mobile variant DOES display correctly, www.perthhillsaccommodation.com.au and www.willswa.com.au and there is a bunch of others all displaying correctly, so just thought I would throw them into show I can do this (chuckle).

I have gone through every element and every layer on the rogue variant and cannot find a problem, but there must be one as it is not displaying as it should.

On samsung phones
    the mobile variant doesn't display at all. The desktop site is displayed instead.

On ipads
    the website displays correctly but the slideshow does not display. I have used this same slideshow many times and have not had this problem before. I deleted the problem site and uploaded a site with the same slideshow as I thought the problem may have had something to do with my host, but the slideshow worked as it should so that was not the problem. Here is that site with the same slideshow www.accommodationdunsboroughwa.com.au (this site is an older site and does not have a mobile variant, and the client has not requested one).

Animation
    On www.perthhillsaccommodation.com.au you will notice on the desktop and ipad sites that there is animation. I had this same animation on the seemehere.com.au website but it was not displaying on ipads or apple desktops, which is odd as it does on the first website, so why not this one? Anyway, that problem was removing the reasonable person out of me, so I deleted the animation to save my sanity.

Short of smashing my computer, does anyone have any suggestions that may help me with this frustratingly annoying problem. Any help would be greatly, greatly, mega greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I will also upload the web.file if anyone has time for a look, but I certainly understand if you do not. Cheers, Abi

Edit: web.file is too big. Will consider something else at a more reasonable time of the day. Time to hit the hay.

Default Re: Mobile variant problems, slideshow problems on ipads, animations not working

Just in case anyone was trying to view seemehere.com.au and was having difficuties ... I have been deleting from server and uploading again. Cheers, Abi

Default Re: Mobile variant problems, slideshow problems on ipads, animations not working

Hi Abi, I can confirm your site seemehere.com.au doesn't display as a mobile variant on my android phone, just the full screen version is vsible although I can see that the mobile version does view correctly on my desktop with a reduced width browser.

I think you'll either need to upload a zipped version of your xar file or post it to Dropbox or Google Drive.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I haven't looked on my mobile, but on my desktop the site switches to a narrow version in the centre of the browser window as the window width reduces.

It seems to me that the design width of the mobile version just doesn't match the variant cut-off point, so the browser switches to a smaller version of the site when the browser width is much wider.

The mobile design width is 400 pixels, but the cutoff for the mobile variant seems to be 740 pixels.

..so mobile design but tablet variant.

Hi Abi,

If you put a ticket into our Support department, support.xara.com, we'll send you some instructions on how to FTP the file to us, and we'll look to see what's going on, include this TalkGraphics URL so we know that your support ticket is for this thread,

or you can share your file from cloud storage (Gdrive / Dropbox) and include the link within this thread and we'll download it from there

Thanks everyone for your input. Ben i am on tour atm and away from my computer but will do as you suggest when i return on the weekend. Thanjs again.

Well, 10 months later and I am back on this thread. After many, many, many weeks (months!) of recreating and recreating and recreating this jolly website for the client we found that the problem was their logo. For some reason the logo was preventing the mobile variant from displaying on androids, was cutting the site in half on iphones and ipads, and only displaying correctly on desktops. I accidentally removed the logo and was surprised to find that the site behaved perfectly on all devices. When I inserted the logo again, the site misbehaved very badly. So, the logo had to go. I have not had this problem before so not sure why this problem occurred. The logo was .png and I saved it as jpeg hoping this would bypass the problem, but for some reason it did not. Anyway, logo is gone and the client has had 8 new sites in 9 months. Haha! www.bickleyvalleyretreat.com.au

Can we have a look at the logo.png please? There's no reason it should cause this hastle.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Can we have a look at the logo.png please? There's no reason it should cause this hastle.
    Absolutely, it's definitely not the logo graphic itself.

I'm amazed the client agreed to remove the logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Abikadabra View Post
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'
    that works for me
    but i prefer

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, God and Satan shudder and say, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.