Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question .XAR files with a thumbnail icon.

I'm just checking that I've not missed any hidden switch or anything, but...

All my XAR files just have the generic Xara icon in Windows File Manager windows. In past versions of Xara (Xtreme, etc), the files used to use a thumbnail of the contents as the icon.

Why did that change?

Or, if it hasn't, how can I get it back?

Vista 32 and P&GD v 11

TIA

Default Re: .XAR files with a thumbnail icon.

Quote Originally Posted by brianlj View Post
    I'm just checking that I've not missed any hidden switch or anything, but...

All my XAR files just have the generic Xara icon in Windows File Manager windows. In past versions of Xara (Xtreme, etc), the files used to use a thumbnail of the contents as the icon.

Why did that change?

Or, if it hasn't, how can I get it back?

Vista 32 and P&GD v 11

TIA
    Either you or MS have twiddled with your View - it sounds like you are seeing small icons.
    You can hold down the Ctrl key and use the middle wheel to change the size and a thumb should appear.
    otherwise in the folder, select View and change the layout.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Go to Tools / Folder options / View / Ensure the Always show icons, never thumbnails is un-ticked/ Apply.

Acorn & I cross posting again. I think you need to have Large icons selected too.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the replies, guys.

No, it doesn't change with Large or even Extra Large icons; I still see the generic blue/white 'camera' icon for all .XAR files.

And I also already have '[]Always show icons, never thumbnails' UNticked

Are you saying that you see thumbnails of what's in your files?

Yes, I do now Brian. I had noticed over the past few days that all I was getting was the genetic Xara64 icon. I don't know why it changed, perhaps after a Windows update? Seeing your post, reminded me I needed to change this back to my normal thumbnail view, and found 'Always show icons, never thumbnails' ticked. I hadn't ticked it. Unticking and refreshing the explorer window and I was back with the thumbnail view. Can't help you beyond that.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

ionno if it'll help but -

i've always had my folder view as small icons. i tried setting it to both medium and large icons and only about 1/3 switched to thumbnail. refreshed the screen while viewing the folder contents (F5) and they all switched to thumbnail. i can now switch back and forth without that initial 'only a few' change issue

...Are you saying that you see thumbnails of what's in your files?
    Yep. And preview pane.
    ...i've always had my folder view as small icons. i tried setting it to both medium and large icons...
    You should also be able to hold the ctrl key down and roll the mouse wheel forward/backward to resize the thumbnails (assuming your mouse has one).
    Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003678.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	110684

Nope. Nothing I do will show me thumbnails for XAR files. Other filetypes such as JPGs BMPs etc show thumbnails, but not XAR.

Thanks for all your help guys; at least I know that it's possible now. All I have to do is work out what's stopping me from seeing them. I'll see if another prog (IrfanView?) is interfering.

I'll report back with my results.

IrfanView running here without that problem
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    i've always had my folder view as small icons. i tried setting it to both medium and large icons ...
    ...You should also be able to hold the ctrl key down and roll the mouse wheel forward/backward to resize the thumbnails (assuming your mouse has one)
    umhmm. i was just pointing out that while changing the view, all the icons in the folder would change except for the majority of the .xar icons. all of those .xar icons that wouldn't reflect the changes to the view setting only started to after setting the icon view to large and then refreshing the explorer window. now it works no problem (tho i'm back to my small icon view setting cos i was just testing to help )