Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: My First Try

Did my first graphic in XaraX today. It is a scene that I saw last night, walking to the pub. The moon was a harvest moon, sort of yellow-orange, and it lit up the clouds around it with this yellow-orange hue. I haven't got it right here, but it's the best I can do right now, with my limited skills. And I was looking across at the night skiing lights on Cypress Bowl in West Vancouver. Anyway, here it is:

Did my first graphic in XaraX today. It is a scene that I saw last night, walking to the pub. The moon was a harvest moon, sort of yellow-orange, and it lit up the clouds around it with this yellow-orange hue. I haven't got it right here, but it's the best I can do right now, with my limited skills. And I was looking across at the night skiing lights on Cypress Bowl in West Vancouver. Anyway, here it is:

Hi bcdeb,

For your first try, that is very good. I like the moonlight reflecting on the water.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

and it did indeed look just like that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And so did the ski lights atop the mountain!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I find your sky to be particularly appealing. I like the rest of the illustration too but I do offer some observations. I wonder, did the moonlight on the water really look like that? Seems to me given the yellow moon your reflection would have that yellow colour too. I also wonder about the taper in that reflection. Here on the other side of the country, in Cape Breton, we have the beautiful Bras'Dor Lake which is famous for its "arm of gold" sunsets. That arm (the reflection of the sunset) is very similar to your moonlight reflection but it exhibits almost no visible perspective. Fly your Learjet over here and see for yourself. That way you can compare what you see with your recollections of that special moonlit night in Vancouver.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Oh there's a million things wrong with this picture, Ross. And BTW, I don't live in Vancouver, I live in Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast. I can't imagine where in Vancouver one would be able to see the lights on Cypress Bowl from this angle - unless maybe Jerico Beach...

Visited your website Ross, and will visit again. You have lots of good ideas. I liked your peeling page thingy.