Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newly Installed Font Missing

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read my issue.

I installed a font I downloaded from the internet. I dragged it from the download folder to the Win7 Font folder. It installed, but I can't locate it anywhere. It doesn't show up in programs, I can't find it in the Fonts folder, and when I try to install it again it says it's installed already do I want to overwrite. I even rebooted (that was dumb if it's a virus).

How do I remove a font I can't find? Did I install a virus/malware? I was a little careless, but now I'm caremore. It's just bothering me something is installed and I can't find it.

Thanks again,

TOG

Default Re: Newly Installed Font Missing

Sometimes the internal name, the name that shows up in a menu, bears little resemblance to the external file name.

What was the font and where did you download it from?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Sometimes the internal name, the name that shows up in a menu, bears little resemblance to the external file name.
    I was thinking that, that's why when I was looking in the fonts folder I sorted it by date modified and I found nothing for today.

The font is Penyae-Regular, after a google search I found it at fontzone. net. I'm working on an existing file that I brought over from another machine and this computer is fairly new so it's missing fonts and stuff.

That font will not be overly useful. It has a permissions setting of Restricted. It is an old font and sometimes those permission flags mean little compared to a newer font. But basically what that means is that it cannot be embedded in a PDF and the receiver of the PDF would need to have the font installed. A similar issue exists if this is intended for a web site.

It itself was a rip-off originally done by IMSI, perhaps it was WSI but ended up being released by both parties in their collections. The original font is Peignot, which was licensed and released by several foundries over time.

None of that is overly helpful. It may be possible to open a command prompt as an administrator, go to the Windows font folder, and type:

del "Penyae Regular.ttf"

and then press enter and successfully delete the font. If the file is for some reason hidden, you may need to display hidden files in the font folder. Not as easy as it should be. It might also be that you need to temporarily turn the Windows font folder into a regular folder to perform a true delete. This is not for the faint of heart and should only be done as a last resort.

In the future, instead of dragging and dropping, try right-clicking and select Install. In theory both methods result in the same install. However, I have seen Windows' font cache get munged up by dragging and dropping, depending on what is happening.

I would also suggest obtaining quality fonts. The rip-offs are often poorly converted from the "real" versions. Some rip-offs merely have the internal/external names altered, but some are very poor conversions of Type 1 font versions.

Mike

Thank you very much for the quick and thorough reply.

I believe I deleted it.

del "Penyae Regular.ttf"

didn't work, it couldn't find the file. In the Command Prompt I typed dir to see what files were there and found "Penyae" no file extension. So that may have been the problem. I will look for the proper font now. However, the restrictions are not very important to me as I am only using it for a logo. I always convert it to Outlines before final use.

Thanks again it was going to nag me if I didn't figure it out. I do appreciate the history lesson on it too. Peignot!

Thanks,

TOG