Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Senior moment: How do I export as PDF from XPGD v 11 ?

I must be having a senior moment 'cos I can't see the File | Export > Filetype *.PDF filetype

My Ctrl-Shift+E filters skip PDF completely going from Paintbrush to Mac PICT.

Wha??

Vista 32 and XPGD v 11

Default Re: Senior moment: How do I export as PDF from XPGD v 11 ?

Designer Pro X has PDF export in the file menu. P&GD 11 has the option in the Files of type list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	110637  

Tnx for the prompt reply. At my age, I have little enough hair left to be tearing any more out!

Yes, I remember earlier versions had PDF as a separate entry. This is just XPGD 11 (not the Pro version) which I have (what is P&LD?)

My version 9 (I skipped 10) has the PDF in the Export list, but v 11 is missing. The PDF exporting files seem to be in the Filters sub-folder under C:\Program Files\Xara etc.

{edit}

Compared with v9, my V11 PDFFilters\ folder lacks the file

PDFResGen.dll

Is that no longer needed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missingpdf.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	110638  

Brianlj--this problem has been encountered before. If I remember correctly (my senior moment), the solution is to "Run as Administrator" when you start the program. Right click the icon to start as Administrator. You only have to do this once. Running as Administrator allows the program to find all the dlls.

Hi Brian. Here's what Xara's site has to say on XP&GD:

Photo & Graphic Designer offers support for a huge range of file formats, making it easy to exchange your work with other users and programs. This includes common bitmap types (eg GIF, JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF, PSD, and RAW photos) and key vector types (eg PDF and AI/EPS, SVG, and EMF/WMF). For text Photo & Graphic Designer can import Word files (.doc and .docx) and supports RTF (Rich Text Format).
    Read it here (Towards bottom of the page)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Brian. Here's what Xara's site has to say on XP&GD:

Read it here (Towards bottom of the page)

Yes, it says, at the bottom of the page headed "PHOTO & GRAPHIC DESIGNER 11":

"Photo & Graphic Designer offers industry leading export of super-clean, very compact PDF files (including support for graduated color fills and flat / graduated transparency). Combined with the PDF import feature, this provides another way to interchange files."

Which is why I expected to find PDF in the list of my export filetypes!

(Plus, of course, it's been there since back in... well, I don't think it was in the first version I bought (v 1.1) but it's been in lots!)

Thumbs up Re: Senior moment: How do I export as PDF from XPGD v 11 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    Brianlj--this problem has been encountered before. If I remember correctly (my senior moment), the solution is to "Run as Administrator" when you start the program. Right click the icon to start as Administrator. You only have to do this once. Running as Administrator allows the program to find all the dlls.
    BINGO!

Yes, that worked! The first time I ran as Administrator, I had PDF available in the Export filetypes list. I closed Xara and opened it normally and, yes, PDF was still there!

(However, a contentless window titled "TaskEng - Task Scheduler Engine" was left behind. I closed it.)

I then started Xara again and I still have PDF export available. Yay!

(So, I wonder if this is because the DLLs are within the C:\Program Files\ sub-system? Odd, because DLL registration worked without fault in previous versions. Plus, of course, I'm logged on as Administrator anyway (Yes, I know there's a difference between run a logon session as Administrator and using "Run As Administrator", but, still... ))

Thank you.