Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Stipplism plugin for Illustrator from Astute Graphics

A brand new plugin from Astute Graphics for Illustrator CS6 and newer.
    Creates vector output. Can't stop, I'm off for a play with it.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Stipplism plugin for Illustrator from Astute Graphics

After a little play, here's an iconic figure stipplised.
    The quality setting I used was 4/10. The text was originally a gradient fill.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jimi.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	110576  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

The vid did nothing in the way to show what control that you have on the Stipple palette. What's it like Bob? I normally use a symbol and spray it on to get that affect or get a texture bitmap and use live trace for vectors,>then lock background and use the pathfinder to merge,> then use gradients with transparencies. That movie made it simple but the good looking graphics on that clip had a lot of extended work on them. You pays your £35 pounds if your a firm no problems.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Peter,
    Attached is a screenshot of the control panel interface for the plugin, showing the controls.
    The image I used was a 700x700pix .jpg, which took roughly 4 minutes to process on my machine, which is has decent specs (attached).
    Nothing to lose by downloading the 14 day free trial.
    Bob.

Name:	stipple.jpg 
Views:	915 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	110591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win info.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	110592  

Well you got same processor as me with slightly more ram and it took 4 mins to process. No don't think so as I know that I am not going to buy it, and if I downloaded it, I would try and justify buying it. I am not doing the same amount of work now.
    Design is thinking made visual.

By the looks of it you can achieve the same effect 'adding noise' through Xara's own plugins.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Agreed, Scotty, but the effect wouldn't be vector.
    Bob.

You can get similar looking effect from autotrace and it will be vector, but ....the resulting file will be huge.

Taking half megabyte file and turning that into 10 megabyte file is not really efficient way of doing things and in that case there are no real benefits for having vector at all.

Having spent a lot more time learning how to use the plugin, I've discovered that it is best to work with low quality settings until you are happy with the result, then change the quality to high for the last stage. It certainly speeds everything up considerably. To call Stipplism a plugin probably does it an injustice, it't much more than a point-and-click effect, there's plenty to learn There are good tutorials and videos on the Astute Graphics site, where I learnt how to do the attached graphic. It's editable text too, by the way. Looks way better at full size.
    Bob.

Name:	stipple-tastic!.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	110910