Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New Font Website

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to share with you all that I'm starting a website specifically tailored to typographers and graphic designers. It's called MatchFont and essentially what it does is provides you with free alternatives lots of different commercial fonts. That way, you don't have to spend your hard earned money! You can check it out here: http://kriskendallsites.com/MatchFont

Default Re: New Font Website

Welcome to TalkGraphics Kristen

I'm not sure what you have done here. Are these your own copies of the existing fonts? And it has been a long time since I have dealt with copyights in regard to fonts. You may need to talk to a copyright attorney or do some searching on the internet for font copyright information. Maybe Gary Bouton knows more about this. My recollection from years ago is you cannot copyright a font but you can copyright a font name. But my memory is foggy on this at best.

Gary, I think essentially that this is a site that provides alternatives to commercial Fonts - the fonts are named differently but the fonts resemble their commercial counterparts.

I have no idea where the legal line can be drawn as to how close they can resemble their commercial counterpart..

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics Kristen

I'm not sure what you have done here. Are these your own copies of the existing fonts? And it has been a long time since I have dealt with copyights in regard to fonts. You may need to talk to a copyright attorney or do some searching on the internet for font copyright information. Maybe Gary Bouton knows more about this. My recollection from years ago is you cannot copyright a font but you can copyright a font name. But my memory is foggy on this at best.
    Hi, Gary. Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I'd just like to say that I don't own any of the fonts listed on my website. The website is simply of collection of others fonts that resemble commercial fonts, which is similar to something like Identifont.

By the way, it's Kristopher, not Kristen.

By the way, it's Kristopher, not Kristen.
    Oops.

At any rate, thanks for providing these. When Avant Garde was designed by Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase and used for the masthead of the design magazine of the same name, there were many alternative characters and ligatures that were available at the time in what was called "cold type" some of the first non-metal type on film. It would be great to have not only the Avant Garde font but the alternate characters and ligatures are well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITC_Avant_Garde

I have a collection of most of the copies of Avant Garde. There is a font available that has some of the alternate characters and ligatures but not all https://www.fontshop.com/families/it...tive-demi-bold

At any rate, thanks for providing these.
    You're welcome! I'm glad I could be of help to you!
    There is a font available that has some of the alternate characters and ligatures...
    That's cool, but the site is really meant to display free fonts.

That's cool, but the site is really meant to display free fonts.
    Understood. But are you creating (recreating) the fonts? And if so, you could recreate the alternative characters and ligatures.

Understood. But are you creating (recreating) the fonts? And if so, you could recreate the alternative characters and ligatures.
    I'm not creating any of the fonts. I'm simply making a collection of others fonts that happen to look similar to commercial fonts.