Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New drawing tools

[Moderator: I've started a new thread for this subject.]

Very well done. [Refers to this thread: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...3D-vectorized] What I'm suggesting, with this and some other thread, to have some new vector tool to improve the overall workflow. Beeing fast and effective is important when you work on some images you know that will be poorly paid. So, I know that there are always a method to reach a specific goal, but very often it's time consuming. In this case, my usual approach is to create the desired extruded shape and then, in a separate layer copying all the small parts of the logo. I attach an illustration I made years ago in Xara (half hour, more or less).
    One more consideration: it seems to me that xara is putting lot of efforts to improve the web and photo sectors, whilst the vector is left behind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keyxara.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	110529  
    Last edited by amoore; 14 October 2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Notes added by moderator

Default Re: 3D vectorized

Lupen it would be nice to think that members here would keep the pressure on Xara for more vector tools. Some here might say well Ver.11 gave you the "Art Brushes" and the improved "Smart Shapes" surely that's enough. They would also say look at all the threads being posted here and its with what type of member and look in what area these threads being started.

I like the Art Brushed and will find myself using them. It's like you said about workflow, when I draw a cartoon I pick a brush that I think it matches the look of the drawing then using Layers draw out the outlines, again using Layers Clone the outline and give the shape a colour fill, then I go back to the outline of the shape and turn the line into a shape, when this is done I look at this shape to see where it should or shouldn't be emphasised and edit accordingly.
    When I do this with the new brushes I just feel a bit flat as they give a res. 192 dpi & the shape is a bitmap. That's not enough for me not to use them but it might bring the work flow question will I use AI or Xara to do the drawing. I think a lot of users/people have missed out on the power of the "Shape Builder Tool" as it can be used as a vector calligraphy brush doing the same job as I wanted from the art brushes. Old Popeye here was done using that tool.

Name:	popeye.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	110548  
    Design is thinking made visual.

@Albacore: you remind my another tool that in my opinion should be considered useful. A sort of "simplify" brush to be used on lines turned in shapes: lots of times there are to many points/nodes, and this "brush" could reduce them leaving intact the overall shape...
    Last edited by lupen; 13 October 2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo mistake

Quote Originally Posted by lupen View Post
    @Albacore: you remind my another tool that in my opinion should be considered useful. A sort of "simplify" brush to be used on lines turned in shapes: lots of times there are to many points/nodes, and this "brush" could reduce them leaving intact the overall shape...
    +1
    I would like it if the convert line to shape function produced much fewer points while keeping the exact shape of the line.
    I would also like the 3D extrusion to be more refined in operating some of the functions, i.e. the lights are very hard to control at times, very jerky and difficult to get to a precise point. Also, I would like the perspective tool to take the perspective much farther than it does presently, like twice the perspective it has now, if possible. Angling an object can be quite difficult too, again getting the 3D tool to smoothly operate to get just the precise angle one wants.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

I hate to compare other programmes to Xara's but yes and I will use your example of the perspective tool Ron. I used to use Freehand in the late 90's into 00's and it had a great grid which really helped with perspective and it was user defined. Then about 14 years later Adobe brought in a similar grid in Illy and when you grouped a graphic and made it a symbol the whole lot would sit on whatever face you picked in near perfect perspective. Yes you can use simple arithmetic in an Isometric to reduce the width of an object so that it looks right but that is a stylised 3D drawing not perspective.

Yes Lupen the Shape Builder tool does the same, too many nodes, when you simplify using Smoothing the shape goes sometimes.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I love the idea of a simplify brush Perhaps it could be added to the shape painter tool. There are options for warping and puckering, simplifying seems like a natural (to me at least)

@ albacore: there is a registry hack which allows you to set the dpi of the brushes Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePro x64\11\Options\brushes\MouldBrushResolution

You can type in the value you want. Note: the usual caveats apply when editing the registry

I've been experimenting with mine set at 300dpi and it seems to work just fine. I would love to see this setting added to the program UI as it's so useful for print work to set it higher but 300 dpi is really not needed for websites.

Also if you are creative enough there are many things you can do with the brushes that will result in a vector. Blends and contours can be converted to vector shapes before you create the brush and as long as those shapes have flat fills the brush will be vector.

The main thing is No gradient fills or transparencies (or fractals either) all shapes must have flat fills and/or flat mix(normal) transparencies and no feathering or you will get a bitmap. Here is a .xar file with a quick example brush

Name:	contoured brushes.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	110563  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.