Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Jewelry website

Default Jewelry website

We were approached to create a website for a client who is a jewellery designer over in Minnesota, USA. We were really inspired by the jewellery design and decided that the site needed to be minimal and fresh to allow the jewellery to stand out. The client supplied the brilliant photos and it was decided that each collection would have it's own background colour which really brands each collection; all of which are so different to the others.

I was very proud of our design team and they really worked hard on the overall minimalist design (it seems the simpler something is the more difficult it is to make look good) and did a lot of hard work to customise the look of the ecwid shopping cart (lots of custom css modifications involved in this one) to match the rest of the site, ecwid is difficult at the best of times just to set a universal font but we had to do a lot to re-arrange the layout so that the description appeared in the place we wanted it, normally it is below the main product image but we felt that as the descriptions are quite minimal it would be best to move it over by the price etc.

The site has a mobile variant as well so if you want to look at that please go ahead. The site was created using adobe muse and of course the shopping cart is ecwid.

There is still a little way to go before all the products are entered but please be sure to check them out.

http://www.elementasjewelry.com/
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Default Re: Jewelry website

Nicely and elegantly done, Cloud.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Very nice I love that the collections have different background colours. A very elegant site and the jewelry is beautiful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Cloud, clean and simple, very well done. Question, what are those thin white lines that go across the page ? see picture below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collections page.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	110490

Ciao

Roly

I don't see white lines in FireFox, Chrome, Opera and IE on Windows 7.
    Very nice site.

Nice work Cloud!

OK, I always talk about something..

Some of the copy seems a bit over-long and a bit odd.

Here's one thing to definitely change: "Elementas designs are created for stylish woman for .." I think women might be better!

Two "for"s in four words, not so much to my liking - not reading well to me.

"longs for the freedoms that she denies herself." should really be "longs for the freedom that she denies herself."

Etc..

I think the copy isn't from someone whose first language is English and is a little clunky as a result.

Some of the image panels have text that is in such a big font they feel a bit uncomfortable to read on my laptop. The panel totally dominates when really the image behind needs to be seen. I think the panel is too big and overly-dominant. I might even wonder if the text could work without the panel and use a bit of a subtle blurred shadow to pop it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShotCloud.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	110491

OK, that's enough!

Paul

Thanks everyone for your comments. Paul, thanks for pointing out the couple of things that need to be changed and we'll look at getting those done; the copy is from someone who most definitely is an English speaker and I don't see any problems with it, it is on a very personal level and spoken very well in my opinion.

We need to get away from the old mindset where body text is size 12 and headlines are 24, it is a clear point to be made and the picture behind the panel is not the main point of interest, it is the text, the picture is there as a design element to enhance the page, it is not of the finished product, if it was then perhaps the dark panel would be far subtler. Roly, I don't see any white lines, the site has been checked on all the main browsers and devices and no such lines appear.

We need to get away from the old mindset where body text is size 12 and headlines are 24

It's rare for people to suggest I have an old mindset and you're attributing an idea to me that has never entered my mind at all. It's a mindset that you have incorrectly attributed to someone who thinks the panel is overpowering, and still does.

it is a clear point to be made and the picture behind the panel is not the main point of interest, it is the text, the picture is there as a design element to enhance the page, it is not of the finished product, if it was then perhaps the dark panel would be far subtler.

Hmm, hmm and hmm. It should certainly be subtler. You didn't present this as a work in progress.

About the English used. I'm going to disagree that it's up to scratch, even for an average English speaker.

"The influences in each stage of my life from childhood to the present are all inspirations for and reflected in my jewelry."

Doesn't make sense grammatically, even though we all know what is meant.

It would be better phrased as "The influences in each stage of my life from childhood to the present are all inspirations reflected in my jewelry.", or perhaps The influences in each stage of my life from childhood to the present are all inspirations and reflected in my jewelry." or even "The influences in each stage of my life from childhood to the present are all inspirations for me and reflected in my jewelry."

Another example, without looking too hard. That's why I describe the text as "clunky". As you can guess, I wouldn't let this stuff pass. If the Jewelery is high quality, it shouldn't be let down by the copy.

I'll not comment further, Cloud.

It's absolutely gorgeous

Thank you creativemac, your comment is appreciated.