Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating a time-activated pop-up

Hi All. A common marketing practice on many websites involves a homepage that, after a preset time of 30 or 60 seconds, displays a pop-up inviting the visitor to join a list or receive further info by entering an email address. How would I go about creating such a time-activated pop-up with sign-up form in Web Designer 11 Premium. Thanks.

Default Re: Creating a time-activated pop-up

Hi Manawatu,

It's not a straight forward thing to achieve in Xara. It's quite simple to create a message that pop-up a form after 10 seconds using the animation options (Xara's max delay) but closing it is the problem

I have made a work-around which you can view in the link below, but before I go through how I created it, I'll wait to see if anyone else has an easier solution.

http://parkeston.com/message/
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi, perhaps Xara would consider adding a fade out option to their menu of animations.

Ciao

Roly

Thanks, EB. Your sample using the web animation feature seems to be the best bet for now. What was the workaround? Is there some way code can be added to finesse things?

The weed leaf for the favicon is inspired Egg.

I moved this to Dear Xara as this is also a feature request.

Okay Manawatu,

As I stated earlier the problem is closing (removing) the pop-up message. The workaround is:

Create a page on your main site that has a placeholder that is animated to open after a 10 second delay. (This is the maximum delay I'd want, 30 seconds and most visitors are already somewhere else)

For the pop-up message, create a seperate mini site which has two pages, the first holding the required pop-up content (a form in your case) and the second with zero content. So, when a visitor clicks the close icon it links to the second (blank) page. Similarly, when a visitor completes the form, the form action links it to the second page.

I reality the the second page is still on screen, it just doesn't have any content. You also need to ensure the form mini-site has zero page & pasteboard fill.

I attach the xar files I used to create my example.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@ Gary:
    The weed leaf for the favicon is inspired Egg.
    How did you know it was a weed, I just drew it from a plant in my back garden Gary?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nice-leaf.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	110853  
    Egg

Egg, your soultion made me play around a bit, and accidentally I found a solution for a timed popup layer with minimal programming.

Just noticed that in my example moving the mouse over the invisible triggering placeholder still opens the popup. So the placeholder would have to be hidden behind some other object.

Improved solution that does not need hiding.