Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Our New Site using: Xara Web Designer 10 Premium Supersite with XT-CMS 1.9

If there's a will to continue all this stuff about Adobe and compression, etc then perhaps start it on another thread. It's somewhat off topic and I think we've already given a heads-up to the issue and should leave it rest. The OPs site is perfectly functional, regardless.

Default Re: Our New Site using: Xara Web Designer 10 Premium Supersite with XT-CMS 1.9

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    If there's a will to continue all this stuff about Adobe and compression, etc then perhaps start it on another thread. It's somewhat off topic and I think we've already given a heads-up to the issue and should leave it rest. The OPs site is perfectly functional, regardless.
    Normally, I would agreed but the OP asked about compression and there was a digression into going down an expensive Adobe rabbit hole. I suggested a free solution that might be of use. The last point is I do not think the site is functional as, for me, it takes 13 seconds to render the image carousel. Compression may assist but I think the site design needs to reduce this overhead and probably as it is a Variant site and Supersite, lose the super bit to get the home page loaded as quickly as possible.

@Karen:

Change the carousel images to four square static pictures like the Services & Programs.
    Lose the Menu - Services and Programs images are doing that already.
    Use the B&W Quick Links as your unique feature along the top of your pages - they are very effective.
    Switch away from a Supersite to a conventional one.
    Footer - uses different fonts to no benefit.
    Last one - I just can't see what benefit XT-CMS has given you - all they seem to do is lose context so I am forced to navigate back using the menu.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Normally, I would agreed but the OP asked about compression and there was a digression into going down an expensive Adobe rabbit hole. I suggested a free solution that might be of use. The last point is I do not think the site is functional as, for me, it takes 13 seconds to render the image carousel. Compression may assist but I think the site design needs to reduce this overhead and probably as it is a Variant site and Supersite, lose the super bit to get the home page loaded as quickly as possible.

This is exactly what I was going to say, it's not functional for me either on a 1.5MB per second connection it's still taking 11 seconds to load.
    I also wouldn't call Adobe an expensive rabbit hole, you can get an old version of elements say v9 for as little as a tenner, but anyway, moving on.

To widen the subject somewhat I'd test your site in something like LINK which can give you excellent advice on reducing download speeds.

If I run your site through a site map generator it shows 64 pages which is huge for supersite.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 03 October 2015 at 07:14 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    To widen the subject somewhat I'd test your site in something like LINK which can give you excellent advice on reducing download speeds.

If I run your site through a site map generator it shows 64 pages which is huge for supersite.
    I use this one

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

It's free

Hi nazf, not going to start a which on-line website optimisation site is the best to use but your link seems to be based on a book first produced in mid 2008 with no further editions. I'd suggest that a seven year old optomisation site is a bit out of date. For example it issues warnings that the total number of images on a page is over 100Kb. ???

The link I gave to pingdom was perhaps misleading, you can test any site for free HERE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg that's a great link.

I ran the OPs site and my placeholder site.

My site is not very complex and I have a 1.7MB image that needs optimization. The OPs site is smaller in terms of graphics download size, but a lot of different files, so the number of download requests is way higher and consequently the download was much longer than mine.

I'd advise anyone to use Eggs link - it will identify massive images easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clinton.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	110392
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ipauland.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	110393

Added: Now I have an email from creatory.org telling me that my website has performance problems. That's not so great..

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi nazf, not going to start a which on-line website optimisation site is the best to use but your link seems to be based on a book first produced in mid 2008 with no further editions. I'd suggest that a seven year old optomisation site is a bit out of date. For example it issues warnings that the total number of images on a page is over 100Kb. ???

The link I gave to pingdom was perhaps misleading, you can test any site for free HERE
    I only included it because I couldn't see a free test on the page you originally linked to. Yes it may be a bit out of date, but I use it more for the information it provides rather than the analysis.
    ATEOTD my advice remains the same, optimise as much as you can to provide the best user experience.

Just a heads-up about Eggs link for analysing websites.

The report that page generates looks excellent but be aware that during analysis the site seems to be scrapped for a contact email and the contact for the site will receive an email saying their site has problems.

I haven't seen any warning anywhere about this. I have tried this on three sites and one was Karen's site (sorry Karen) and two were mine. I received two emails directly having run the analysis and they are almost identical in content and purport to come from two different companies. I only have a single email on my sites - I hate to think what it would do if I had multiple email links.

I'm not sure I'll ever use this service again if it results in spam emails.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Just a heads-up about Eggs link for analysing websites.

The report that page generates looks excellent but be aware that during analysis the site seems to be scrapped for a contact email and the contact for the site will receive an email saying their site has problems.

I haven't seen any warning anywhere about this. I have tried this on three sites and one was Karen's site (sorry Karen) and two were mine. I received two emails directly having run the analysis and they are almost identical in content and purport to come from two different companies. I only have a single email on my sites - I hate to think what it would do if I had multiple email links.

I'm not sure I'll ever use this service again if it results in spam emails.
    Where on your site is your e-mail address?