Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default FTP Profiles no longer being saved

I went to upload to my website today and when I went to select a saved settings profile from the list they were all gone. I didn't have a huge list but it still was annoying. So I filled in all the fields with the necessary information and saved the profile and published but when I checked again the profile didn't save and there were no custom profiles in the list. Is anyone else having any problems problems like this?

Edit: a restart of the program seems to have cleared the issue, but I'd still be interested in knowing if anyone else has encountered this behaviour. If I can either reproduce it or determine if it has happened to others I'll submit the issue to Xara
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: FTP Profiles no longer being saved

My problem was different but maybe is related.
    My ftp password was not saved the first about three attempts and I had to re-enter it several times. But somewhen it was saved and it is now working as expected.

I have had the exact same problem. I currently only have one profile but it will work for a while and then disappear and I have to re-enter everything.

you will also find that that the fields miss-arrange themselves. The ftp address will show up as the sub folder and the website address will have what should be the subfolder.

This happened to me as well. When I upgraded to Xara Designer Pro 11 I lost all my saved FTP sites and had to re-enter them all.

Is this an .xml file or something? How can we back that up so we don't lose it again?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer View Post
    This happened to me as well. When I upgraded to Xara Designer Pro 11 I lost all my saved FTP sites and had to re-enter them all.

Is this an .xml file or something? How can we back that up so we don't lose it again?

Mike
    FTP profiles are kept in the registry, there may be a way of transferring them but I haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    FTP profiles are kept in the registry, there may be a way of transferring them but I haven't tried it.
    Perhaps a nice little BACKUP button or some feature to save the list of FTP servers to a text file and then be able to load it back in if we lose them would be great.

Mike

I've only recently been using Xara for publishing web files via ftp. I found that if I had the credentials wrong or the server incorrect than the profile was not saved. I would expect that to be the behavior, but not loss of data when idle or sparse use. I also would be annoyed upon upgrade to find ftp profiles being lost or not ported. I wouldn't however pursue a feature that would export/backup ftp profiles to contain credentials.

Security isn't fun to implement into a product nor is it friendly for the end user. That being said, Keepass is a fairly useful and user friendly open source compromise with a price tag of $0 and fairly active development. I use the Auto Type feature daily! Auto Type is what allows you to hit CTRL + ALT + A and the active window is inspected for any matching information in Keepass then filled in automagically! Its not a browser add-on which often confuses people. It can fill in pretty much any Window that has a title and can be tabbed through. You could use a single entry in Keepass with multiple Auto Type entries to provide the credentials to other applications for FTP access as well as Xara. The fields that Auto Type needs are pretty easy to understand after seeing it used for the first time.