Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Process to add Favicon

I've used favicon on other website software before, but am not too clear how to do it using Xara.

I followed the instructions in the help file for WD 11P. I started with a new project and added an image to a page, and using Names called it 'favicon'.
    When I previewed the page, true enough the favicon showed up on the browser tab.

I didn't want that image displaying on any page, but only for favicon use, so I deleted it, but saw it was still in the Bitmap Gallery. Then previewing, the favicon had gone from the browser tab.
    I added it again onto the page, then I dragged it out of page border and it still worked. Deleted and from the page and it disappeared as an icon.
    Does this mean I have to leave the favicon on a page, but out of view? Also, will it display as a favicon on every page, even if I've added only to one page?

Default Re: Process to add Favicon

When you see the image in the gallery, Xara's housekeeping has not fired up until you close the file. This allows you to reuse an image elsewhere.

One named favicon is for the whole site; you cannot have different one on a page-by-page basis.
    [Update: Cloud's information (http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...026#post541026) allows you to add the following to each Page's Head: <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/index_htm_files/specialicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />. You, however, would need to upload the images as .icos separately.]

It doesn't matter what the size of the image for the favicon should be. It can be part of the page design.
    I place mine off-page, under something else or to a layer that I can hide.
    I've never tried making it hidden as I had assumed it wouldn't be rendered.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 22 September 2015 at 05:56 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for the info on how to do it.
    I've hidden the favicon behind another image. It almost seems like a "work around", but it obviously does work, so I'm happy.
    Cheers,

i don't have it at all in my project design. i just placed my favicon in the index_htm_files folder and added one line to the <head> towards the top just below <title>

Code:
    <title>Central Security</title>
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="index_htm_files/favicon.ico" />
    my problem is it's then gotta be done manually (minor step) if i tweak the xara project file. didn't think about hiding it somewhere. thx for mentioning this
    Last edited by mikeymopar; 22 September 2015 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymopar View Post
    i don't have it at all in my project design. i just placed my favicon in the index_htm_files folder and added one line to the <head> towards the top just below <title>

Code:
    <title>Central Security</title>
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="index_htm_files/favicon.ico" />
    my problem is it's then gotta be done manually (minor step) if i tweak the xara project file. didn't think about hiding it somewhere. thx for mentioning this
    I've done that same thing before.
    However, as I don't yet know all the ins and outs about Xara, if I ftp-ed other files I'd worry that if I later updated a Xara page, I don't know if Xara when uploading checks the files on the webserver against what it's u/l already.
    It might be the same with the google webmaster file, if it comes across that?
    Perhaps it does some website clean-up and deletes what it thinks are unecessary? I just don't know at the moment.

Create your image. If necessary group all the parts. Select the image then click on the yellow name tag icon on the Infobar.

Key in favicon. Press Add.

Xara creates the favicon on publish. No coding necessary.

You won't see this in Xara's built in browser but if you preview in another browser you will see the favicon in the page tab.

As far as I was aware as long as the file was named favicon.ico and was an actual icon file and placed in the root folder you do not have to do anything else. Apparently you can also have a different favicon for each page as described here http://www.dwuser.com/education/cont...-your-website/
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

It's not necessary to have any code in your pages:

On most modern browsers, all you need to do is to put the favicon.ico file in the root of your website, it will cache and work on all pages. Place the favicon in the root of your website named "favicon.ico"
    EDIT: Cloud beat me to it

I create a 16 x 16 px png then run it through http://www.proicons.com/ to get the ico image. Upload the resultant image, named favicon.ico to the root of your site.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg were you aware that we can now have a different favicon on each page, it was news to me before I read that article I linked to, although I can't think of a situation when one would need to do that.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

No I wasn't. Just read the article. Like you I couldn't see much use for it but it's good to know.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host