Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirror tool

Default Re: Mirror tool

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    You can use Live Copy to create mirrored (or transformed in any way) copies of objects that will automatically update when they are edited.

To edit the objects you either have to select inside (which many tools now do automatically, but not all) to edit the copy in situ or "Edit inside" which opens a separate window.

(If you want to add new objects to any of the Live Copies that has to be done in an "Edit inside" window.)

Phil
    Phil, if you use the Page and layer gallery and expand the Live copy group, you can select and edit the shape therein.
    The advantage this has is the second (& other Live copies) are still visible.

I don't like using this method as even on my PC the one second delay for a refresh is tediously disconcerting.

Why so slow?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thumbs up Re: Mirror tool

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    You can use Live Copy to create mirrored (or transformed in any way) copies of objects that will automatically update when they are edited.

To edit the objects you either have to select inside (which many tools now do automatically, but not all) to edit the copy in situ or "Edit inside" which opens a separate window.

(If you want to add new objects to any of the Live Copies that has to be done in an "Edit inside" window.)

Phil

Sweet! Position remains independent to one another when not grouped

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

You can find an example of using live copies to create a mirror effect if you take a look at the Snowflake template I created for a Xara Xone giveaway in 2013.

The template uses live copies that are flipped to create a mirrored image.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    You can find an example of using live copies to create a mirror effect if you take a look at the Snowflake template I created for a Xara Xone giveaway in 2013.

The template uses live copies that are flipped to create a mirrored image.
    Found a bug in XARA 9 (using your Snowflake Template).
    I haven't tried this in XARA 11 (installed at work on Windows 7 since my home PC is running Windows XP and XARA stopped supporting it).

If I SUBTRACT another object from the Snowflake Master shape everything is fine.
    If I INTERSECT another object from the Snowflake Master shape everything is fine.
    If I SLICE another object from the Snowflake Master shape everything is fine.

However if I ADD another object from the Snowflake Master shape then the Master Shape is NO LONGER A MASTER SHAPE.
    However if I JOIN another object from the Snowflake Master shape then the Master Shape is NO LONGER A MASTER SHAPE.

Note again that I am only trying this on XARA 9.2.7 on Windows XP and I do not know if Adding or Joining secondary shapes to the Master Shape deactivates it on Windows 7 or in XARA 11.
    Just letting you know if this is a problem until I get a chance to try this out on Monday at work on XARA 11 if I get a chance.