Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is this the best quality I can get when saving transparent images?

It seems like I can never get good quality when saving images using transparency. Especially icon size ones. Maybe somebody can take a look and make some suggestions
    on how i can improve on these. I use xara designer pro 10 all the time, mostly for mockups that dont really need to be good quality, but these do. Thanks

Attached

2 saved with transparency Gif/Png ( they look awful but best i could do )

1. xar file containing the 3 button icons I'm trying to save.

My guess is something is wrong with my saving procedure or something but im following what is said here: http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...ticle/View/206
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Is this the best quality I can get when saving transparent images?

I don't know what you want the button for but I would export it as a PNG and in the Settings... select a DPI of 1200 px.

You will get a giant button but you can add it to a document and rescale or to a web page and add a width.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	About.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	110061

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

seeing as you're making it 35x35 i'm gonna guess for mobile/tablet icon hack?

it'll be perfectly fine on the device cos i'm guessing you're viewing your saved png back in xara still at 400% zoom

also, if i'm correct in what you want it for, becauce of the bevel the overall size (you'll see it in the save as dialog) is now 39x39 so you're getting some clipping in the final saved image. i'd shrink it down to 30x30 and group it with an invisible 35x35 box and then export it as a correctly sized 35x35 image with no clipping. besides being a smooth circle the padding values between icons remains ideal

i've done a ton of mobile/tablet hacking which is what i originally used Xara for so that's my take on your attempt here....but i might be way off in what your intentions of use are

Export same size as PNG True Color + Alpha for the cleanest shapes.

If you clone the text on the button as you can see in my second image the text is a bit more solid on export. I am not sure why but Xara has done this for as long as I can remember.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I don't think there's a lot wrong with them. It's more a limitation of your display resolution (96ppi?) If you export the images @ 192ppi put them on a web page it looks the same quality on a PC but looks far better on an iPad with a higher resolution display. If you have a hi-res device compare HERE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

On my iPhone the buttons are about 6 pixels wide Egg. I can't see any difference.

TY Acorn, Mikey, gwpriester. I really expected to wait a week to get an answer on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I don't know what you want the button for but I would export it as a PNG and in the Settings... select a DPI of 1200 px.

You will get a giant button but you can add it to a document and rescale or to a web page and add a width.

Name:	About.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	110061

Acorn
    Funny, I know so little about graphics considering how much I use xara, and this was basically what I was going to do, but to me it didn't make sence, so I thought i was doing something wrong. But i found saving a 400x400 png/truecolor+alpha, then bringing it back into xara was much higher quality, even after resizing it back down to 35x35. I just assumed i can make a 35px image sharp like it looks in xara, but i guess not. Anyway if i didn't get any feedback ( or now that i have ) I think the best option is for me to just make a 200x200 or something an put it on the webpage as 35x35 and quality will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymopar View Post
    seeing as you're making it 35x35 i'm gonna guess for mobile/tablet icon hack?

it'll be perfectly fine on the device cos i'm guessing you're viewing your saved png back in xara still at 400% zoom

also, if i'm correct in what you want it for, becauce of the bevel the overall size (you'll see it in the save as dialog) is now 39x39 so you're getting some clipping in the final saved image. i'd shrink it down to 30x30 and group it with an invisible 35x35 box and then export it as a correctly sized 35x35 image with no clipping. besides being a smooth circle the padding values between icons remains ideal

i've done a ton of mobile/tablet hacking which is what i originally used Xara for so that's my take on your attempt here....but i might be way off in what your intentions of use are
    This is actually for a web page application ( see info mockup of the app below ) but it is responsive so will work on mobile devices. I guess i just never thought
    that making a big image even though i know more pixels have more resolution was the option, figured I was doing something wrong with xara.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Export same size as PNG True Color + Alpha for the cleanest shapes.

If you clone the text on the button as you can see in my second image the text is a bit more solid on export. I am not sure why but Xara has done this for as long as I can remember.
    These were the settings I was using minus the text cloning part. So basically you have tried to make them as good as they can be with xara. Thanks for doing that.
    I think I want to make them sharper so will just make them monster size and just put them on the webpage at 35x35, but if not I'll do as you suggest for them.

Can't believe I got so much feedback on this on a sunday, really appreciate it.

These icons are actually for a web application that my coder has spent about 300 hours making and Im just making some final tweeks to the interface. I used xara for years to make my mockups then give it to my coder. Anyway attached is a screenshot of the application while im normally protective of sites/ideas Im working on unless you own a gold site, with good traffic, I'm not worried about showing this a week before it goes live, and would love
    any feedback you good designers might want to give.

The look is all stuff I make in xara for my coder to replicate. I'm actually very happy with this
    project, but it is a free tool so I'll probably take a total bath on it. My brother in law runs a physical we-buy-gold business, and I have to update his pay prices on his website every couple months because they are not dynamic, so I figured this would be useful to that type, and other gold related business. So basically I looked at what currently existed, and tried to make something 100x better. Not sure if i got that, but I know for this obscure niche its working
    far better than anything out there.

Unfortunately the mockup doesn't convey all the features, nor different templates it has. Only the most simple (test template) is
    visible.. Anyway the tool allows gold site owners to make a widget that displays prices in many different ways on there websites and its very easy to match the current look of any site with no coding, just a few slider changes, color picker stuff and there good to go, and just copy and paste it into there website or send the code to their webmaster. Also the canvas area is real time display there is no waiting as all changes are instant. Gold buyers website owners they just have to
    enter the % of what they pay for gold and other metals and embed it on there website and it will always update dynamically
    for there current buy price.

It was a real chore to keep the interface simple to use because it has so many tools. There is an advanced setting tab on this (witch i hid because its becoming convoluted for avg business owner to use) that pretty much
    has every CSS option possible, but maybe I'll un-hide that depending on feedback I get from users.

Thanks again for the help on the icons..

Name:	widget-interface.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	110065

@ Gary: I said iPad Gary
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ah yes capt.I should've known you really weren't making them to be used as mobile/tablet icons. My bad. Although the part about shrinking them down a little and framing them with a transparent circle or rectangle might still apply. Maybe. Possibly.