Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Scaling issue workaround?

I'm not sure what I'm missing here?!

Assuming I've understood the OP's problem.
    I think Gary has already answered the question as to what is happening.

The original image is 770x1085px

With the 'Lock aspect ratio' not selected, I entered 1000 into the width. And as expected, only the width is altered. (First pic)
    With the 'Lock aspect ratio' selected, I entered 1000 into the width. And as expected, both the width and the height altered. (Second pic)

Select the images and see the measurements.

So, can someone explain to me what the problem is?
    I'm using XDP11.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspect-not-locked.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	110050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspect-locked.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	110051  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

ionno Rik...
    maybe something lost in translation cos i thought Gary's reply was the solution also if the entire workspace was to be stretched in one direction only by entering a value directly
    so now i'm lost too

Carefully look at the images I posted earlier. They illustrate the problem.

I marquee select everything and enter 1000 into the width, and all works the way it should do.
    If I have the aspect ratio selected, it works as it should do. If I have the aspect ratios deselected, it works as it should do.

So, I cannot reproduce what you say.
    I have had a close look at your images, but, cannot get it to do the same.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    I marquee select everything and enter 1000 into the width, and all works the way it should do.
    Interesting, that works for me too. Now, click on the group, and then enter 1000 px as width. That's where the problem shows on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by feklee View Post
    Interesting, that works for me too. Now, click on the group, and then enter 1000 px as width. That's where the problem shows on my system.
    Same here; marquee all and enter 1000 width works (also stretching the 'eye'), but clicking group, entering 1000 width shows the problem. I can get it to work correctly if I hide/lock the annotation layer, select the group and ungroup it, then either dragging it to 1000 or entering 1000. You can apply 'Soft Group' to keep stuff together after the ungroup command.

Did you create this in XDP!! or with Rhino? I'm curious because I also work with Rhino 3D.
    ~Fred

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	multi shape.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	110052
    Even more curious about how this was created. The walls are made up of many shapes, perhaps affecting scaling.
    ~Fred

I'm sure it's down to the software that created the vector shapes originally. Scaling with aspect locked works as expected, but scaling without aspect locked in the horizontal plane creates odd behavior. The left & right side of the group widen but there's a middle section that remains in the middle unscaled.

To stop this behavior, ungroup and then apply a softgroup (as someone suggested earlier). This now works in an expected manner.

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

ermm...Egg....
    unless you have a different example.xar than Rik or i that's how it already stretches. no need to ungroup then softgroup. can stretch it already horizontally with everything completely being scaled horizontally. that's why Rik and I (and i think even Fred) were at a loss. i don't see it at all stretching the way it is for you how it was downloaded and opened. what changed ????

also, instead of having a million shapes to create the walls, just make 2 rectangles, different widths for exterior and interior walls. paste and rotate as many as needed and place them snapping to corners/edges. and then when finished just select all walls and combine>add shapes. if any editing needs to be done then use shape editor to delete nodes.

just thinking to simplify the entire process...

edit: hmm. reading Fred's post over i see it happens if you select the group itself from the page and layer gallery only instead of just marquee selecting it all in the workspace. and then it only happens grabbing the handles. if you enter in a value at the top for the width then everything still stretches horizontally (including the middle parts)
    Last edited by mikeymopar; 13 September 2015 at 03:30 AM.

ah-ha. it's also a "web" document which is known to have issues stretching things horizontally only. if you change it to "print" then you can select the group in page and layer gallery and it'll properly stretch everything by just the middle handle too. if you wanna keep it "web" template then hold alt down while dragging the middle handle horizontally to keep everything exactly as the example.xar file is and to stretch everything horizontally by selecting it in the page and layer gallery

project should be started using any template other than web page or photo